• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a NAS as a business expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a NAS as a business expenses?

Hello guys,

I want to buy a Synology NAS as a company expense. My way to justify that is that I will save there company related files (contracts, timesheets, receipts, etc). Let's be honest, I will also put some personal stuff there but HMRC doesn't need to know that.

Do you think it is a valid reason and it can be company expense? Please let me know your thoughts.

Alejandro

Originally posted by mga1989 View Post
    Hello guys,

I want to buy a Synology NAS as a company expense. My way to justify that is that I will save there company related files (contracts, timesheets, receipts, etc). Let's be honest, I will also put some personal stuff there but HMRC doesn't need to know that.

Do you think it is a valid reason and it can be company expense? Please let me know your thoughts.

Alejandro
    Probably better placed in an Accounting forum rather than technical.
    Anyhoo...... You don't seem convinced yourself that it's a genuine business expense. So you already know the answer, that it's not but you would like it to be.

It's hard to justify a NAS just for storing data though isn't it? I mean OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud are all better as they provide backups as well.

If you want a line to use, then why not buy it as a "backup drive" to protect your important company data? You have a fiduciary responsibility to protect your company's assets (data) so having a reliable remote storage device makes sense.

Whatever you do though, don't use your line of justification if HMRC ask.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my company's money on a NAS drive it doesn't need. Not when I've got over 5TB of cloud storage with Microsoft that is a genuine business expense (MS Action Pack if you're interested).
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Probably better placed in an Accounting forum rather than technical.
      ...and that's where I've moved it to!
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

IMO not a business expense and it's not worth enough to be buggering about with. Still comes out of your pocket at the end of the day albeit at a discount.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If it's used for business use, then claim it. If it's not then don't.

My company just bought a Synology DS918+ and 4x10TB drives.

Comment

I don't see why this wouldn't be a business expense.

If its going to be used primarily for business use then I'd put it through.

Comment

I have no hesitation buying most IT/office equipment through the business if it’s used for any kind of business purpose and I don’t waste time worrying about whether or not HMRC would agree. If there’s absolutely no business purpose or use then I don’t.

Comment

I have a NAS for VMware storage in my (home) office lab, along with servers and switches all bought by myco. No objections from my accountant whatsoever.

Comment

for £500 , ? FFS, just declare it a business asset and claim the VAT and write it off over two years or whatever

Comment

What they all (mostly) said

Anything computer related gets put through the business.

Am in the process of speccing a new NAS and drives as I type this (surrounded by a myriad of tabs of reviews and specs!).

Go for it.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X