• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government to consult on tax avoidance in the private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government to consult on tax avoidance in the private sector

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...private-sector

read and respond here: https://www.gov.uk//government/consu...private-sector
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 18 May 2018, 09:29.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Interesting, thanks - this was due. Might be worth punting to Future of Contracting...

Comment

The government considers extension of similar reform to the private sector to
      be the lead option which will effectively tackle non-compliance. As set out in
      Chapter 4, the government recognises that public authorities faced challenges
      in implementing the reform and that this is a concern for businesses and
      individuals working in the private sector. We would therefore like to explore
      whether the design of the reform and the implementation process could be
      improved
      I'm shocked. Shocked.

Comment

The whole thing is a mess.

Ireland has this sorted better*, if not perfectly. There is no tax advantage to the low salary + CT + divis model, so everything is paid as salary. But PRSI (NIC) is applied as if you were a sole trader (more or less). There are rules about disguised employment but they don't cause that same angst.

Having said that, the rules around travel and subsistence to your main place of work are bad, but that doesn't affect most people in Dublin as annual train / bus / tram / passes come out of your pre-tax salary - in effect I pay about €100 per month for my train and tram ticket for a 30km commute.

* The caveat is that the overall tax rate is high with the income thresholds for higher rate kicking in at €35k. Comments above are about the structure rather than the rates.

Comment

Don't worry only about 30% of contractors will be caught - which is identical to what was supposed to be the case in the public sector.

However, companies really don't like HMRC inspecting their tax affairs though so 90% of companies will be going for blanket bans much in the same way the public sector went.

Glad I've hopefully left contracting for good as this is the end of it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Don't worry only about 30% of contractors will be caught - which is identical to what was supposed to be the case in the public sector.

However, companies really don't like HMRC inspecting their tax affairs though so 90% of companies will be going for blanket bans much in the same way the public sector went.

Glad I've hopefully left contracting for good as this is the end of it
            I'm nearly there too.

One big tax bill to pay, and then just waiting to run this contract down the last few months ... and I'm out. Will close down, MVL and ride off into the sunset.

Comment

The fact that the title includes the word 'tax avoidance' directs the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                I'm nearly there too.

One big tax bill to pay, and then just waiting to run this contract down the last few months ... and I'm out. Will close down, MVL and ride off into the sunset.
                Well done. What's your plan?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Glad I've hopefully left contracting for good as this is the end of it.
                  Even in the PS it was far lower than 90% blanked "ban".

In the private sector they will just get an insurance form the likes of QDOS and keep their costs much lower than if they have to blanket declare everyone inside IR35.

The end result will be that tax intake for HMRC will be roughly the same.

Comment

But for HMRC to release this within 48 hours of losing an IR35/contractor case AGAIN - if HMRC cannot get the rules right, what hope is there for the private sector? The CEST tool gives an HMRC-view of IR35 which doesn't seem to take account of cases decided at tribunal. As usual, the whole thing is a mess

Comment

Working...
                    X