• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My agency wants the VAT certificate but I only have the number.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

My agency says it needs my VAT certificate, is that normal, is that legal, why do they want that?
    I already gave them my VAT number.

My accountant (CRUNCH) sent me the number and told me I will receive a letter with that certificate, but still nothing about that letter (I applied 3 or 4 weeks ago).

Thanks for help.

It's a pretty standard request, to be fair. You can get your certificate online the moment it's set up - you should be able to login to the VAT portal. Just checked and my PDF is literally from the same day I set up the company.

Push back to the accountant and get them to give you something - I don't remember if I ever got a paper one or not (probably) but a copy of the online one has always been sufficient.

Comment

I must say I don't understand this requirement either. They know who you are (or YourCo), your registered address and your VAT number. It's easily verified using VIES: VIES

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        I must say I don't understand this requirement either. They know who you are (or YourCo), your registered address and your VAT number. It's easily verified using VIES: VIES
        Because agents are not smart people?

Comment

Don't send them the paper original if you get one. A copy is all I would risk them losing. Scan and email is easiest.

Didn't know a PDF was available these days so that would be best if can obtain it easy enough as above.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Login to YourCo.'s Gov.uk portal. You can download your VAT certificate as a PDF.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo19ip View Post
              Hello,

My agency says it needs my VAT certificate, is that normal, is that legal, why do they want that?
              Is it normal?
              - Well, it does happen from time to time.

Is it legal?
              - It is not illegal.

Why do they want it?
              - You’d be best to ask them why they want it, rather than us.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Get the copy from your accountant.

Create a folder that has all the standard docs asked for by agents, stick it on OneDrive etc and then never have to worry about it again. What might worry me is that you think it's illegal for them to ask for it
                Last edited by radish2008; 2 June 2018, 14:30. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X