• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you outside IR35 if you already pay full NI and tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you outside IR35 if you already pay full NI and tax?

Regardless of your contract
    - If your Ltd makes 100k a year
    - Your expenses are 10k a year, paid by your Ltd
    - And you draw the remaining salary of 90k a year, paying the corresponding NI and income tax due

Are you less of an interest for ir35 investigation? Or is it more about your contract than your self-assessment?

Why would you even do that?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does this relate to your other question about trying to get travel costs if you switch from contracting to permanent?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-far-home.html
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by forumuser View Post
        - And you draw the remaining salary of 90k a year, paying the corresponding NI and income tax due

Are you less of an interest for ir35 investigation? Or is it more about your contract than your self-assessment?
        Technically you still need to consider IR35. If "inside" then T&S expenses are not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by forumuser View Post

A contract is inside or outside IR35, not a person.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't disagree with the posters above...but from a practical perspective, if you're basically declaring yourself outside IR35 whilst voluntarily making "bad" choices which mean you pay virtually all the tax you would have done if inside IR35, then I'd agree you're very unlikely to be challenged. Why would HMRC bother if there's negligible extra tax at stake. It's not technically "right", but I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, indeed we've suggested it for a couple of our clients at times.

It's a little bit like claiming a very contentious business expense. If it's a tenner, who cares...it may be wrong, but it's not worth wasting time arguing about it. If it's £10k on the other hand, it is worth taking more care to ensure it's dealt with properly.

Comment

One could argue you're very unlikely to be challenged if you declare yourself outside IR35 anyway.

Have HMRC investigations ramped up now they only have to investigate a small number of 'rogue' contractors not already inside IR35 in the public sector, and likely same when it is applied to private sector so their investigators have a smaller pool to investigate.

Hopefully there will be a high enough percentage automatically inside IR35 that HMRC makes all the IR35 investigators redundant or moves them onto something else.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                Why would HMRC bother if there's negligible extra tax at stake.

Isn't that the whole point of IR35 - HMRC bother for negligible extra tax?
                I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
                  Ummm...quite often there is a huge amount of tax at stake with IR35 cases?

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    Ummm...quite often there is a huge amount of tax at stake with IR35 cases?
                    The main point of IR35 is probably to scare contractors into brollies.

Comment

Working...
                    X