• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses When Staying Away from Home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses When Staying Away from Home

Last edited by MikhailCompo; 30 June 2018, 17:10.

No way would I be giving money to some bloke I don't know just because the landlady insists. She's probably not covered for multi tenancy.

I wouldn't be putting a bottle of wine through the company cheaper or not. Just my choice.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree. I was in London for 5 or 6 years, get yourself a house share with a contract or rent a flat and get an agreement. I don't see how you can expense nnn and say I gave it to see bloke for half my rent.

Comment

Sounds very dodgy to me, - i'd walk away, swiftly

Comment

There's Monday to Friday lets you can pick up that are far less dodgy than the deal you've got going on.

I stayed in a lovely one on the Greenwich/Blackheath border. Very easy for the gig in the Wharf. Cheaper than the monthly train ticket too. The couple who owned the flat only rarely used it, mostly as a weekend crash pad, and as they were contractors themselves had no qualms about proper receipts and contracts in the name of MyCo. Not all week day landlords are that savvy, I hasten to add.

Comment

As the others have said.

If you want an easy life look to lodge with contractors who work away or someone who works nights. Preferably don't sign a fixed term contract so you can leave if your contract gets canned and if it gets extended stay longer, without too much hassle.

Also as you have cooking facilities you can't expense alcohol, your breakfast and dinner.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
              Accommodation - Does Airbnb change VAT and how do I get a VAT receipt from them? The cost page states the service charge includes VAT but not clear on remainder.
              Thought I'd pick up on this bit as nobody else has. Airbnb do charge VAT...but be aware when you're using their service, the cost is typically split. So what you're actually paying for will be something like:
              ~5% of the cost - Airbnb fee, this is VATable.
              ~95% of the cost - this is the rent to the property owner. More often than not this won't be VATable assuming it is the "spare room", or small self contained flat infrequently let type thing. It could be VATable if it's a hotel/similar.

So you may find you pay ~£1k to Airbnb, yet there's VAT of just £5-10.

Comment

This is my first time living in London for work, commuting each weekend. Obviously I'll ask my accountant for advice but a few Q's for the community:

Accommodation - Does Airbnb change VAT and how do I get a VAT receipt from them? The cost page states the service charge includes VAT but not clear on remainder.

Accommodation longer term; I have signed a 3 month lease on a room in a flat shared with one other chap. This is to be paid monthly by bank transfer, however the landlady insists she receive only one single payment from myself and the other occupant. Therefore she has suggested that I transfer money each month to the other occupant, he will pay her the cumulative amount and she will provide me with a receipt for my portion. She hasn't explained why; I suspect she is subletting when not supposed to.

Is this acceptable, is it just the receipt I require for my accounts?

Finally a quick one, is there a limit to alcohol expenses? Buying a bottle of wine is cheaper than glasses!

Thanks all.
                Walk away.

There's an accommodation guide for staying away.

Air BnB has proved notoriously unreliable for this sort of thing.
                Similarly renting has the pitfall that while your contract is no notice, your rental agreement isn't. It's easy to get a six month extension, sign up for six months more at the flat then get canned after two months and still have to pay out for the full six months on the flat.

Trivago and booking.com are your friends.

Don't bother claiming for alcohol - it's not wholly and exclusively for business use. Do, though, see your accountant for advice on entertaining expenses, etc.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Last edited by MikhailCompo; 30 June 2018, 17:10.

Comment

I really appreciate people taking the time to respond, but it's amazing how many questions have been answered that I didn't ask!!

Firstly, I choose how much I spend based on enjoying my life whilst away during the week, as opposed to busting a gut, staying in a hovel just for maximum profit. I will still have a profit after expenses, that is what it's about to me.

Follow up questions: How do I get a detailed receipt for AirBnB showing the correct VAT then? Surely they have a legal obligation to provide that? Note that they actually offer business specific accounts as I see they have noticed my email domain - So they are obviously appealing to business customers.

As for this lease accommodation - Whether it is being sublet inappropriately is irrelevant to me unless it affects my business finances/expenses (and I have no proof it is being sublet). The current tenant has been their happily for 2 years. On Friday when I get keys and make the first payment we will be signing an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which is a legally binding document. As I have already stated I will be paying a monthly rent and receiving a receipt for each payment. So for the doubters - Specifically what is required to turn what some suggest is dodgy into someone totally above board?

Thanks all.
                    Sorry, - this is advice, based on limited and woolly information.

Arguments dept is two doors down the corridor

Comment

Working...
                    X