• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rental (+ food!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rental (+ food!)

Hello All

I've been contracting since October. Renting an apartment because the contract is 100 miles away from home. I've been collecting a filing expenses as if I were in a hotel, food and drink, sometimes claiming a small shopping bill + other times eating out.

I was very surprised (to say the least) to get my P11D through yesterday and find "Groceries" listed on it. When I clarified the situation the accountant said that because the flat has a kitchen then it is classed as "home from home" and therefore food cannot be expensed. They want on further to advise moving to a hotel instead of flat and then any food could be claimed (as there is no provision to cook in a hotel room).

I do not use the flat for personal use. I only stay there when I'm working at the customer site.

I colleague of mine is doing exactly the same as his accountant advised it that he can claim for his food whilst doing the same.

Are the HMRC guidelines open to this much interpretation??

Any help, guidance would be most valuable. I did search for a similar thread but couldn't see anything but apologies if I missed it.

Your accountant is right.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcook99 View Post
      Hello All

I've been contracting since October. Renting an apartment because the contract is 100 miles away from home. I've been collecting a filing expenses as if I were in a hotel, food and drink, sometimes claiming a small shopping bill + other times eating out.

I was very surprised (to say the least) to get my P11D through yesterday and find "Groceries" listed on it. When I clarified the situation the accountant said that because the flat has a kitchen then it is classed as "home from home" and therefore food cannot be expensed. They want on further to advise moving to a hotel instead of flat and then any food could be claimed (as there is no provision to cook in a hotel room).

I do not use the flat for personal use. I only stay there when I'm working at the customer site.

I colleague of mine is doing exactly the same as his accountant advised it that he can claim for his food whilst doing the same.

Any help, guidance would be most valuable. I did search for a similar thread but couldn't see anything but apologies if I missed it.
      Yep. My accountant advise that when using rented accommodation for staying away from home then claiming for food prepared in said rented accommodation is not a business expense. In much the same way you cannot claim for food when executing a local contract or working from home. Your rented accommodation is effectively a temporary sub office of your main office for the duration of your rental agreement. I assume the rental agreement in in yourCo name and not yours! If its not then you probably shouldn't be claiming the rent as a business expense either as you have entered a private rental agreement and not a business rental agreement. Just saying if you want to be squeaky clean in case HMRC come knocking.

Using rented accommodation can be cheaper, more convenient, and healthier, but it also comes with its disadvantages from a business admin perspective, i.e. its not always easy to get yourCo name on the rental agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by jlcook99 View Post
        Hello All

Your accountant is either correct or stating the 'received wisdom'. Others would disagree. https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ay-home-2.html Ultimately, you are responsible and should decide what to do, once you understand the risks.

Comment

Your accountant advised the same as mine did.

I'd also advise against renting from a risk point of view - your project could be canned at any time but you are committed to the rent for the length of your rental contract.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Have you registered for Council Tax at the "rented apartment"?
            Is the apartment available to you, or family members outside of the working week?

Duality of Purpose.

Listen to your accountant.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Is the apartment available to you, or family members outside of the working week?

Duality of Purpose.

As part of the whole rental thing, I covered it with my accountant.

You'll have to but you'll get a discounted rate for it.

If it's available to you and only you use it (to save journeying back up north if you're working late on a Friday, for example) then it's not a problem.

We figured a better option was spareroom.com
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Duality of Purpose.

It is serviced accomodation so I don't need to register council tax/utility bills. I never use the property at weekends or when I'm not at the customer site.

Comment

Drip feeding information in this thread - Just listen to your accountant. One would hope that you have the Service Apartment rental agreement in the name of YourCo?
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Drip feeding information in this thread - Just listen to your accountant. One would hope that you have the Service Apartment rental agreement in the name of YourCo?
                    I was advised that it didn't matter. Simply became an expense claimed back from YourCo if you paid for it personally.

Comment

Working...
                    X