• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Handset Purchase

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract?

If you're out of contract/on a pay as you go tariff it might be worth getting a contract including phone instead of buying the hardware separately.

Used to be that buying the phone separately was a lot cheaper but when I did the calculations recently, it was cheaper to take the combined monthly payment (Galaxy S9+, 2 year contract).

Comment

Originally posted by Bomster1 View Post
      Not trying to be pedantic but do you mean 'Computer Hardware'?
      Yes, you're correct, sorry. It's 'Computer Hardware'.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Yes, you're correct, sorry. It's 'Computer Hardware'.
        But what's wrong with putting it in the original category and dealing with it as an asset?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
          If you're out of contract/on a pay as you go tariff it might be worth getting a contract including phone instead of buying the hardware separately.

Used to be that buying the phone separately was a lot cheaper but when I did the calculations recently, it was cheaper to take the combined monthly payment (Galaxy S9+, 2 year contract).
          I have always bought the phone separate to the contract and get a 30 day SIM only contract. That way, when a provider annoys me that bit too much (like when Vodafone took down a tower at the end of the road from me and I stopped being able to get a signal) I can switch very quickly. Also means I can switch quickly when I spot a better deal, etc. It might cost a bit more in the long term but I CBA to do the sums every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post

What tariff are you on at the moment, and how much data?
            I checked 1 month ago and I didn't think it was worth it on a proper 'Business Contract' as they are 20-30% more expensive than personal ones.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
              What tariff are you on at the moment, and how much data?
              I checked 1 month ago and I didn't think it was worth it on a proper 'Business Contract' as they are 20-30% more expensive than personal ones.
              Yeah I found exactly the same, hence I just stuck with a 'personal' contract. I get 10GB, ultd mins for £12 a month on EE, 12 month contract, which I think is a reasonable deal.

Comment

So my accountant has stated the following

Without a contract in the company name, it will be hard to justify the cost of the handset. The handset should only be expensed through the limited company if it is used for business purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomster1 View Post
                  So my accountant has stated the following

Without a contract in the company name, it will be hard to justify the cost of the handset. The handset should only be expensed through the limited company if it is used for business purposes only.
                  Vodafone's business deal was the same as the personal ones I seem to believe. You sure they are so much extra? Have you asked your provider if they can switch your current plan to a business one and see if they just offer the same price?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 25 July 2018, 15:08.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just had a quick squizz of EE SIM only plans and personal contracts are about £2 a month cheaper than business.

I find that EE business answer the phone really quickly and you get useful help. Never had that with personal plans.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Just had a quick squizz of EE SIM only plans and personal contracts are about £2 a month cheaper than business.

I find that EE business answer the phone really quickly and you get useful help. Never had that with personal plans.
                      I never go with 'offers' direct from the provider's website.
                      You can get the same deals for half the price on comparison websites (personal contracts).
                      Last edited by zonkkk; 25 July 2018, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X