• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meal Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meal Expenses

Hello,

I am relatively new to contracting and have been constantly trying to read a lot of stuff regarding rules and regulations around it. One of the questions that I am confused about is whether I can claim regular lunch meals at a client site as an expense. I choose to be at the client site but do not intend to be there for 2 years. The confusion arises because it is said that if the workplace is temporary then I am allowed to claim (or at least that is how I understood it). And what is defined as temporary is a place where I have either worked less than 2 years or am expecting to do so.

Can somebody please clarify, whether I am doing the right thing or not?

Thanks.

You can claim any subsistence related to business travel or travel to a temporary workplace (the latter being subject to the 24 month rule). This includes lunch if working away from home but not food you prepare and bring with you.

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
      I choose to be at the client site but do not intend to be there for 2 years.
      you don't intend to be there for 2 years, or does your contract end before 2 years is up?
      That's a BIG difference.

What is the contracted end date?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
      X