Meal Expenses Meal Expenses
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Meal Expenses

Still gathering requirements...

Question Meal Expenses

Hello,

I am relatively new to contracting and have been constantly trying to read a lot of stuff regarding rules and regulations around it. One of the questions that I am confused about is whether I can claim regular lunch meals at a client site as an expense. I choose to be at the client site but do not intend to be there for 2 years. The confusion arises because it is said that if the workplace is temporary then I am allowed to claim (or at least that is how I understood it). And what is defined as temporary is a place where I have either worked less than 2 years or am expecting to do so.

Can somebody please clarify, whether I am doing the right thing or not?

Thanks.

Super poster

You can claim any subsistence related to business travel or travel to a temporary workplace (the latter being subject to the 24 month rule). This includes lunch if working away from home but not food you prepare and bring with you.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by siphr View Post
    I choose to be at the client site but do not intend to be there for 2 years.
    you don't intend to be there for 2 years, or does your contract end before 2 years is up?
    That's a BIG difference.

What is the contracted end date?
    See You Next Tuesday