• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Denmark

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Denmark

Hi,

I've been approached about the potential to work on an interesting six month contract in Denmark.

One of the complications is that I would be required to go on local payroll (not entirely sure why) and pay tax in Denmark rather than invoicing from my ltd company.

I'm assuming that when self-assessment time comes next year that this would be treated as income and I might need to "top up" my UK tax and potentially pay back child benefit etc.

Also, this would mean that my ltd company would make a trading loss for the year as I wouldn't have any income going through the company.

Has anyone had any experience of this and does anyone see any other issues I might not have considered?

Cheers
    Stokesy

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie....1._Eu0E-5Uw88

Anything in there help?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that, some useful information.

I'm inclined to think it's going to be financially not worth the while if I end up earning pretty much the same as I would on a local contract £200 per day cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by stokesy View Post
        Thanks for that, some useful information.

I'm inclined to think it's going to be financially not worth the while if I end up earning pretty much the same as I would on a local contract £200 per day cheaper.
        Yep, been there, done it and came off much poorer for it. You'd be taxed at least 45% on the full slice of your income (back in my day I was taxed at 52% on what equated to a GBP £45,000 income ). Plus, the Danish equivalent of HMRC (Told & Skat) always find inventive ways to take more than you think. It's no accident that there is a Told & Skat for each of the 260+ local authorities in that tiny country.

The Danes have a saying and a joke:
        Saying: You can kill your wife and kids and get a few years for it, but if you ever default on your taxes, you'll be thrown in jail for life.
        Joke: There are only 3 truly communist countries left in the world: Cuba, N Korea and Denmark.

Decide carefully.
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Expat scheme tax in Denmark is 30% flat rate for first year or second too I think. I found it very easy and not too expensive to live there if u go Aldi not Irma and accom is way cheaper than Dublin. But it’s boring...

Comment

Working...
          X