• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That time of year again - IPSE+ or QDOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I appreciate that many members do join "just" for the insurance, but IPSE is, and is proud to be, a membership and member led organisation. Members have the opportunity to get involved and make a real difference - any member can put themselves forward for the CC (Consultative Council) or even stand for the board. If you look on IPSE as your organisation, rather than just a service provider, you may feel more involved.
    Oh, how times have changed.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Yep. There was a time I’d recommend them by default to n00bs. Now I’d only recommend them on a pure value-for-money calculation (TBF, they do save me a few grand a year on PI insurance for North America). But it’s reaching a point where I may take the financial hit simply to ditch them

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Yep. There was a time I’d recommend them by default to n00bs. Now I’d only recommend them on a pure value-for-money calculation (TBF, they do save me a few grand a year on PI insurance for North America). But it’s reaching a point where I may take the financial hit simply to ditch them
        Same, although I still put it in as a recommendation for said n00bs to research it themselves and it's possible to get most of the money back through perkbox. When they are more comfortable about getting canned and contracts/agents they can drop it if they wish.

I have to say I did renew a couple of months ago but it's the first time I sucked the air through my teeth when the renewal popped up. Had to leave it and come back to it a couple of days later but still renewed in the end. It's worth it just for the agents buggering around with contracts and perkbox but only just......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          but it's the first time I sucked the air through my teeth when the renewal popped up.
          Exactly. Couldn’t have put it better.

Comment

QDOS for reviews, IPSE+ for insurance (and shopping)

Best mix of the two.

Perkbox (they used Edenred before) has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months, there's an app now which means you can very quickly purchase vouchers in store for things as you need them.

Use it enough on holidays and shopping to take a lot of the edge off the membership price, perhaps even eliminate it.
            Last edited by PerfectStorm; 8 August 2019, 13:40.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              Snouts deep in the trough?
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Snouts deep in the trough?
                Well, a casual observer may view the most recent changes as such, but I think that it's more a case of having lost one's way; of having forgot one's market, and a complete inability to sell one's vision.

In short: weak strategic direction and scope creep.

Only time will tell if the expected hoards of home-working mums and make-up vloggers will compensate for the dwindling number of full-time, professional contractors who have traditionally paid the bills...
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

When IR35 determination goes client-side next year will there even be a point to the insurance? Would it still cover you if client says you're outside but they think you're in?
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    When IR35 determination goes client-side next year will there even be a point to the insurance? Would it still cover you if client says you're outside but they think you're in?
                    That's one to ask Seb. I'm sure he's spent many a sleepless night considering that one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Tax loss? No, because the draft legislation places no liability on the supplier at the end of the chain (aka PSC), except where fraud has been committed (=insurance violated too). Still, I've always considered that to be a waste of money under the existing rules.

Clients and agents may attempt to "transfer" liability via the contract, once any liability has been passed to them (I predict, mostly without success), but none of the existing insurance products are aimed to insure against that risk AFAIK.

There is, however, still a strong argument for cover on professional fees, in general, because professionals are expensive.

Comment

Working...
                      X