• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That time of year again - IPSE+ or QDOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    When IR35 determination goes client-side next year will there even be a point to the insurance? Would it still cover you if client says you're outside but they think you're in?
    It will if you want to challenge an inside IR35 determination at tribunal. And it covers all tax enquiries anyway, not just IR35 ones.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Got my IPSE renewal notice the other day and thinking about it. Currently think a 90% chance of moving to QDOS.

Cost of TLC35 and Jury Service cover from QDOS is very close to that of IPSE membership. My accountant (InTouch) treats IPSE membership as a BIK so I get a personal tax hit as well. I'm also not a fan of what IPSE have been doing (or not) recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
        Got my IPSE renewal notice the other day and thinking about it. Currently think a 90% chance of moving to QDOS.

Cost of TLC35 and Jury Service cover from QDOS is very close to that of IPSE membership. My accountant (InTouch) treats IPSE membership as a BIK so I get a personal tax hit as well. I'm also not a fan of what IPSE have been doing (or not) recently.
        Yiurcaccountant is wrong. Its not a BIK but you cant offset it against CT. I wont go into the long and complex reasons why!

As for cost, you can get the membership cost back through the Perkbox savings, and you get a lot more cover than IR35 and jury service, such as your sgency going pop...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          you can get the membership cost back through the Perkbox savings
          The only Perkbox stuff I'd be interested in is already available with the same discount or better from TopCashBack or Quidco, without having to pay a membership fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            The only Perkbox stuff I'd be interested in is already available with the same discount or better from TopCashBack or Quidco, without having to pay a membership fee.
            Of course it is...

Its just i get annoyed with the lazy comparison of IPSE membership with an IR35-specific commercial product. They are not really comparable, and just looking at the cost is not really a valid exercise.

However, if that is how you want to do it, its up to you of course. Meanwhile I'll keep trying to get IPSE to provide some concrete reasons why membership is worthwhile...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I joined ipse in 1999 gave up a few weeks ago - they have lost there way

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                I joined ipse in 1999 gave up a few weeks ago - they have lost there way

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                I concluded it simply became an old boys club run for the tiny minority benefit after they changed to IPSE and started cuddling up to the likes of Brookson. The utter arrogance and contempt of the PTB and the unwillingness to discuss and recognise what was going wrong finally nailed it for me a few years ago now.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                  Supermarkets, holidays, M&S, gym...?
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Have been pondering over the weekend, still dithering and changing... think I'm now just going to stick with QDOS (PI, PL) & IPSE for the next year and see where things are at then ...
                    Maybe ! Renewals aren't due for ~3 weeks. so there's scope for me to change my mind many times between now and then

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Meanwhile I'll keep trying to get IPSE to provide some concrete reasons why membership is worthwhile...
                      The fact that you have to try and find concrete reasons, and it's not a completely obvious no-brainer, just reinforces my view that it's not really applicable to most "traditional" contractors any more, and will become considerably less relevant to them after April 2020.

Comment

Working...
                      X