• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is VAT punitive for threshold contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
    No VAT is an annual threshold - so if you go over it in the year all your services are VATable (even ones you invoiced and didn't charge VAT on)

You then have two choices - go back to the client and tell them you are a muppet and forgot to charge VAT or pay it out of pocket.
    This is not correct. You become liable to account for VAT on your sales as of your registration date - it's not backdated unless you ask for it to be backdated or were late in registering for some reason. Only if you have issued invoices over past your registration date would you need to re-issue VAT invoices. And it's a rolling annual threshold too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      This is not correct. You become liable to account for VAT on your sales as of your registration date - it's not backdated unless you ask for it to be backdated or were late in registering for some reason. Only if you have issued invoices over past your registration date would you need to re-issue VAT invoices. And it's a rolling annual threshold too.
      I think that's a double

He's certainly racking them up today.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Umm, haven't I already said this? TBH I like it when I'm correct

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
          Umm, haven't I already said this? TBH I like it when I'm correct
          Yes, but I don't always read every reply before I respond

Comment

VAT is literally the most straightforward part of the accounting, financial and tax side of being a contractor in this market. It astonishes me that you can get to the stage of operating a limited company and have no idea whatsoever how VAT works.

In fact, it astonishes me you can get to working in a professional career, even if you had always been a permie but obviously *have paid VAT yourself in your personal life* without understanding how it works better than your OP demonstrates.

You've already been given the pointers, but truly - you are very well advised to spend significant time reading up not only on VAT but on all other tax-related aspects of running your company.

Comment

Christ, this is terrifying

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
                Christ, this is a trolling sockie
                FTFY.

Comment

Don't forget the potential you can reclaim VAT on your first VAT return even.

There’s a time limit for backdating claims for VAT paid before registration. From your date of registration the time limit is:
                  •4 years for goods you still have, or that were used to make other goods you still have
                  •6 months for services

You can only reclaim VAT on purchases for the business now registered for VAT. They must relate to your ‘business purpose’. This means they must relate to VAT taxable goods or services that you supply.

you may be able to claim back the VAT on certain asset purchases with a VAT-inclusive price of £2,000 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah@RHJAccountants View Post
                    you may be able to claim back the VAT on certain asset purchases with a VAT-inclusive price of £2,000 or more.
                    Why does it have to be over £2k?

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                      Why does it have to be over £2k?
                      Are you asking where is the rule that says 2K or just discussing why the limit has been set to 2k?

https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme

•you can’t reclaim the VAT on your purchases - except for certain capital assets over £2,000
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X