• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Accountant - advises against income splitting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abu1 View Post
    dodgy of safe?
    Crap.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

my accountant has also advised against it he also has advised against giving out dividends saying its risky and safer just to pay the tax on profits after the whole year. Told me apart from the salary leave all income in the account
      Sounds like you need a new accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
        Sounds like you need a new accountant.
        He said he does not want to bring any suspicion from hrmc on me and that I should just play it safe . I wanted to purchase new mobile phone he said don't will make things complicated

Comment

He said he does not want to bring any suspicion from hrmc on me and that I should just play it safe . I wanted to purchase new mobile phone he said don't will make things complicated
          Christ you most certainly want to get rid of them. Phones are very well documented and quite acceptable.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Better walk to work if he's your accountant. It'll be for the best and won't bring suspicion upon you. Unless you claim for shoes of course.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Better walk to work if he's your accountant. It'll be for the best and won't bring suspicion upon you. Unless you claim for shoes of course.
              I will change accountants after next financial year.

Comment

I will change accountants after next financial year.
                No. Do it now.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  No. Do it now.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    Ever hear of HMRC challenging director's remuneration of £8K or even £11K?

They'd have to quantify the proper amount of compensation to compensate a director for the liability they incur by serving in that role. How can they prove it should be less than £11K?

If you pay a spouse director's compensation of £50K or £100K you might have an issue, but then IT, ERNI, and EENI come into play, so no one would do that and they wouldn't be likely to object.

No reason, really, other than that it is illegal.
                    You are missing the point! It is clearly uncommon for HMRC to challenge it, but believe me, if you get a CT enquiry, they will ask for it to be justified. There is a big difference between not having to justify it and HMRC hardly ever querying it!

So you are assuming all children in the world are under 16? Nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                      It is clearly uncommon for HMRC to challenge it, but believe me, if you get a CT enquiry, they will ask for it to be justified.
                      Maybe I missed the point but you didn't answer my question. Have you ever heard of HMRC challenging it? Or is this just one of those ghost stories accountants tell each other around the campfire when they get together?
                      Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                      So you are assuming all children in the world are under 16? Nice one!
                      Heh. My son who happens to be somewhat over 16 is a director in my company. But it's pretty hard to see that as coming under the subject of this thread (income splitting) because anything that is paid to him I'll never see again....

Comment

Working...
                      X