• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very Simple Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Simple Question

Hi. I'm with a brolly - why am I deducted both Employee NI and Employer NI on my payslip?

thats how they work

You didnt think that the brolly would pay your employers NI for you did you ?

All the tax and NI come out of your earnings. plus the brolly fee, which is why it is better to be ltd in almost all cases, possible exception of absolute bang to rights ir35 failure and only intending to contract for a short time.

Comment

Hi Bill,

This is a very commonly asked question. The reason you have to pay both lots of NI is because you are paid, through an umbrella company, in the same way as a Director of a Limited Company whose contract has failed IR35. A company director is both employee and employer and therefore both apply. This is also why, under an umbrella company, IR35 becomes irrelevent.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X