• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Sweden

Hi all,

We're looking to relocate to Sweden, and originally I was looking for only permanent roles. However I've been tempted by some of the contracting opportunities.

I was wondering if anyone is able to share their experiences or any useful resources for contracting in Sweden?

Is there an equivalent to IR35 in Sweden?

Is it worth contracting via a LLC vs some sort of umbrella company? Going through an umbrella company is appealing given we'll have enough on our plates trying to settle in to another country.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I was lucky that my UK agency had an office in Stockholm and got a contract that way. It’s not a huge freelance contracting scene here, many are employed as consultants and placed at client firms for projects.

Nothing like IR35 here but then the ways of paying out profits as other than salary are much limited too. Higher rates do go some way to offset that though.

I also used an umbrella the first few months until I had my Aktiebolag up and running. It’s a bit of a struggle to get things done until you are fully registered and have your personnummer (National ID number) and BankID (digital ID) but once in the system things are a breeze.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your response. What umbrella company did you use? Would you recommend them?

Comment

I used CoolCompany and they were fine, didn’t have much interaction with them as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Eventar View Post
          Hi all,

We're looking to relocate to Sweden, and originally I was looking for only permanent roles. However I've been tempted by some of the contracting opportunities.

I was wondering if anyone is able to share their experiences or any useful resources for contracting in Sweden?

Is there an equivalent to IR35 in Sweden?

Is it worth contracting via a LLC vs some sort of umbrella company? Going through an umbrella company is appealing given we'll have enough on our plates trying to settle in to another country.

Thanks in advance!
          Register as self-employed in the UK. Apply for a certificate of tax compliance from the HMRC and then for an F-tax certificate from the Swedish tax authorities. Then you can send yourself out to work in Sweden as self-employed without using an umbrella.

Technically, your limited company can then send an invoice to you, the self-employed person, to bring the money into your limited company for extraction as a dividend (but only after you're no longer liable to taxes in Sweden).

Comment

Working...
          X