• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor. Pension recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contractor. Pension recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was a pension company recommended for contractors, or that you guys personally recommend?

I'm new to contracting, and had a search of this forum but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

There’s a sticky thread right at the top. Give that a read and see if it helps.

Comment

I recommend setting up a SIPP and then shoving in whatever you fancy every year. It's just a bank transfer and shows up on the costs side of the Balance Sheet, so zero tax (up to the current annual limit, which is probably £40k). You have to choose what you want to invest in. If you can't be bothered just pick Vanguard 60 or 70% equity. On his death, Warren Buffett has instructed his trustee to convert most of his wealth into an index-tracker fund with Vanguard, saying: “I believe the trust’s long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors who employ high-fee managers.”

Vanguard are supposed to be introducing a SIPP product this year. I would hang on because they will be cheaper than the rest. If you don't want to wait, Hargreaves Lansdown are used by lots of people although they are probably more attractive if you like to pretend you're a city trader.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Went through this whole rigmarole this year and "What Cirrus said", except I went for high equity for now.

I was advised to look at some cheaper platforms but had a couple of bad experiences, including one who accidentally sent me a filled in application form for somebody else - complete with NI number, DOB, bank details etc etc.

In the end I went for the often recommended HL and they've been great - really great to deal with and a good online platform. Also very very easy to transfer other pensions in. I think most SIPP providers have the "Pretend to be a trader feel" - you just have to look past that.

All a bit overwhelming at first for me as I've no experience with such things, but now I've got it set up it's fine. Again, as Cirrus said, paying in is as easy a bank transfer or even an online debit card payment.

On investments themselves, I do recommend the book Smarter Investing - but it ultimately comes down to the same thing - forget playing the market yourself, forget paying someone to play the market, stick to well respected index trackers
        Last edited by vwdan; 22 August 2018, 08:33.

Comment

For HL, you set up an account.

Then you send an email to [email protected] like this:

Hi

Client No; 2121212
          Employee: Daniel Volkswagen
          NI: YP666666A

Company:
          Volkscon Limited
          77 Sunset Strip
          Plumstead Episcopi
          Dorset

Amount £20,000
          This is a gross employer contribution.
          The funds are from a Volkscon Ltd bank account

Daniel Volkswagen
          Director
          etc

Then you send the cash.

It duly appears (as cash in your portfolio page) and you can then buy into whatever funds, shares etc you fancy.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

If you are new to contracting you could do with putting the pension on the backburner until you've built a warchest up that covers 6+ months of money at your current burn rate in case you can't get you 2nd and 3rd gigs quickly.

Once you've got this buffer then you can start thinking about a pension. You can put a lump sum in just before the year end so there is no rush to set this up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP is the way to go

Comment

Waiting for Vanguard to bring out their SIPP, will then transfer existing pension to that.

Comment

Sorry, I may be being thick here, but to confirm - are we saying that you can contribute directly to a SIPP from a limited company?

I was under the impression you could only pay into a SIPP from post-tax earnings? (Or am I still thinking like a permie.... ?!)

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                    Sorry, I may be being thick here, but to confirm - are we saying that you can contribute directly to a SIPP from a limited company?

I was under the impression you could only pay into a SIPP from post-tax earnings? (Or am I still thinking like a permie.... ?!)
                    Yes, correct.
                    No, wrong.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X