• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD cockups

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD cockups

Anyone else having issue with SJD.
    Gone through three accountants with them in last few months.
    I send them stuff and they keep sending out automated emails to send it.
    I sent my VAT bookkeeping on day after Vat Q ended. Got confirmation it would be done.
    Then got new accountant.
    This week new accountant send huge demand emails looking for my bookkeeping with 3 days till deadline.
    Bookkeeping clearly visible where I uploaded it to their portal.
    BTW never even knew the portal existed for three years till one of the many accountants wondered why I wasn't using it.
    I'm sensing they're growing too big too fast and getting sloppy.

Long thread on SJD here. It was started back in 2014 but still getting people adding to it. I've linked the last posts. You can go back as far as you like then.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ntants-26.html

The portal has been around for awhile but didn't seem to be received very well.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ntants-26.html

I don't know about the reasons being them getting too big too quickly. They've been the biggest for a long time now but the story seems to be that they are losing clients hand over fist over the last god knows how long so it kinda makes you think it's problems trying to be efficient causing staff and customer issues that they are struggling to balance. Dunno.

I'm sure you are aware but you are paying premium price compared to many others for all this as well....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What these kinds of threads show me is that accountancy is still very much a people business.

Yes technology is improving, but unless as business owner you're going to completely DIY, you're relying on humans at the accountancy firm. Your legitimate grumbles revolve around technology being used badly (ie automated emails that aren't appropriate) and humans not doing their job well.

Lesson for accountancy business owners is to keep your staff happy. Happy staff stick around, clients like continuity (and often it gives better service). Of course people will move on from time to time, but high staff turnover isn't good for anyone.

In terms of your specific situation, up to you whether you decide to persevere in the hope it improves (or perhaps accept that you'll need to chase them for stuff rather than the other way around) or whether to move on.

As NLUK says, SJD have been huge for ages, so I doubt it's growing pains. They did get bought out a few years back, which may have indirectly lead to a change in service levels.

Comment

I was with SJD for 3 years (I think, maybe 4) and the difference in service at the start to the end was night and day. They were absolutely rubbish - left and never looked back. Couldn't be happier with Gorilla.

Comment

I was with them for 4 years. Was mostly fine. Some mistakes recently but the premium price was an issue. When faced with some bench time I put the effort in to move to a FreeAgent accountant. Much happier now.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            What these kinds of threads show me is that accountancy is still very much a people business.

Yes technology is improving, but unless as business owner you're going to completely DIY, you're relying on humans at the accountancy firm. Your legitimate grumbles revolve around technology being used badly (ie automated emails that aren't appropriate) and humans not doing their job well.
            What he said.

Having met Chris IRL and seen his approach on here I've recommended 3 family members to him now. I was working at a.n. other contractor accountants at the time and I wouldn't trust any of theirs or anyone else's automated systems over Maslins approach.

SJD won't get better - they will be target driven to buggery now, so I would decamp to the likes of Maslins and away from the number churners.

Comment

Originally posted by clearbrian View Post
              Anyone else having issue with SJD.
              Gone through three accountants with them in last few months.
              I send them stuff and they keep sending out automated emails to send it.
              I sent my VAT bookkeeping on day after Vat Q ended. Got confirmation it would be done.
              Then got new accountant.
              This week new accountant send huge demand emails looking for my bookkeeping with 3 days till deadline.
              Bookkeeping clearly visible where I uploaded it to their portal.
              BTW never even knew the portal existed for three years till one of the many accountants wondered why I wasn't using it.
              I'm sensing they're growing too big too fast and getting sloppy.
              I left SJD on Friday for another accountancy. I can't imagine they are growing at all, particularly with the aggressive manner in which they tried to get me to stay. Too many mistakes, some of them potentially quite costly drove me away, even though its a major hassle and will cost me money to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudninja View Post
                I left SJD on Friday for another accountancy. I can't imagine they are growing at all, particularly with the aggressive manner in which they tried to get me to stay. Too many mistakes, some of them potentially quite costly drove me away, even though its a major hassle and will cost me money to do so.
                Getting rid of a bad accountant will save you money not cost your it
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post

Lesson for accountancy business owners is to keep your staff happy. Happy staff stick around, clients like continuity (and often it gives better service). Of course people will move on from time to time, but high staff turnover isn't good for anyone.
                  100% this! Most our staff have been here 10 years plus and makes our client retention a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                  X