• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment From Ltd Co

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I opened a ltd co investment account a few years ago due to similar reasons, particularly losing to inflation and ever increasing personal tax / loss of reliefs. My accountant was not keen but couldn't provide any reasonable alternative.

After messing around with trading, I invested exclusively in low fee global index trackers and left it to churn. As far as I am aware, corp tax applies on disposals, losses are deductible and dividends received are generally not taxed, to avoid double taxation. I think CIC is only a factor if your trading profits become a very significant proportion of your ltd co turnover.

The downsides - to investing or holding large reserves in general - are:

- Effective lock-in period, i.e. long term bear market. Suppose a quick 50% drop and a recovery taking 10+ years.

- A raid on your funds via IR35 retro-action or perhaps a new tax on retained reserves (recently touted)

- Hitting higher rates of personal tax on eventual liquidation

It has worked for me so far due to market conditions and a gradual draw-down strategy. However, it is worth an exhaustive look at legal personal tax breaks, while they still exist. As always, DYOR.

Comment

Working...
    X