• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying hardware on educational promotions for the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying hardware on educational promotions for the company

I need to buy a new Macbook. On Educational promotion, it's much cheaper. Can I pay from there and include as the company expense?

Are you a student?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by qbait View Post
      I need to buy a new Macbook. On Educational promotion, it's much cheaper. Can I pay from there and include as the company expense?
      At the very worst you could buy it personally and sell it straight to the company for the same amount if you wanted to. It would be better if you could buy it directly from the company if that promotion allows but yes it's possible.

It would be an asset not an expense at those prices.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I did. As long as the invoice is to the company it's fine.
        I used Mrs. Lance's educational privilege for some MS Surface accessories.
        Microsoft don't mention the promotional price on the invoice in any case.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes. HMRC don't give a crap about the business details of a transaction so long as it fits all the usual requirements for a tax deductible business expense/asset purchase/whatever.

Microsoft give more of a crap, but it's unlikely you'll be the first person in the world to get done for it.

Comment

I've just started contracting and I'm not fully aware of all rules.
            I set up the company yesterday, but haven't got back confirmation yet. Can I buy it as a regular person from my private bank account and later provide the receipt somehow?
            Or my purchase needs to be with the proper invoice with my company name and number on it?

@cojak I'm not a student, my friend is. Is it a problem? From the moral perspective, everybody will be win-win? Apple will get anyway 1800GBP from my purchase

@northernladuk so can I buy it privately with the receipt and later somehow transfer it to the company? And claim all taxes back?

@Lance @vwdan Cheers

Comment

Yes but please get yourself an accountant.

Comment

I need to buy a new Macbook.
                Are you sure you just don't fancy one?

Comment

@northernladuk What do you recommend? I'm going 2 have ~2invoices per month. At the moment, I'm considering having a software like Xero or service like gorillaaccounting.com

@barrydidit For my work, Mac with ~16GB is must have, I'm afraid.

Comment

@northernladuk What do you recommend? I'm going 2 have ~2invoices per month. At the moment, I'm considering having a software like Xero or service like gorillaaccounting.com

@barrydidit For my work, Mac with ~16GB is must have, I'm afraid.
                    You'll need an accountant not just a bookkeeping service. Xero is a bit complex for what we need so Freeagent is a better bet. You can try it for free. It's just a tool though. It won't tell you what you can and can't claim and any tax information. Just book keeping although is essential.

It's free with the Gorilla service and I'm with them but there are many others around. There is an accounting recommendation thread if you want to have a look at other options.

Comment

Working...
                    X