• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent, Employers Allowance & Payroll Journal Entries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeAgent, Employers Allowance & Payroll Journal Entries

I love FreeAgent, and it is a lot simpler than my old method of doing my own books, but there is one thing that I just can't get my head around, even though the numbers seem to work out correct on paper, it just doesn't make sense!

I use HMRC Basic PAYE Tools, so I need to add Journal Entries to FA to account for the payments.

According to the help I should have:

Debits:

Code 407 - 987.50 - Directors' Salary
    Code 408 - 39.40 - Directors' Employer NIC's
    Code 814 - 39.40 - PAYE/NI

Credits:

Code 902 - 953.24 - Salary and Bonuses
    Code 814 - 73.66 - PAYE/NI
    Code 408 - 39.40 - Employers Allowance

The numbers all add but, but it seems to me I am cancelling out the two entries in bold with each other, and it doesn't seem to effect anything other than just this this entry. All other balances stay exactly the same except now there are more transactions in 814 and 408!

Is it me or is this just a waste of effort?! (I mean the extra transactions, not doing it all myself as that has been done to death)
    Last edited by SimonMac; 16 September 2018, 20:30.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Any good reason why you don't use FreeAgent's inbuilt payroll feature?!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Any good reason why you don't use FreeAgent's inbuilt payroll feature?!
      I moved from Spreadsheet and HMRC Basic PAYE Tools mid financial year, added back in all past transactions (easy enough to do with bank reconciliation and journal entries) but didn't want to change PAYE until I was more comfortable with FA. Will swap to completely FA when at next year end

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Looking at the journal, yeah I think it's basically a case of "showing all your workings". Ie you could cut out a couple of the entries and achieve the same effect, but to an outsider it might be less clear why.

If you wanted to you could not only cut out your bolded transactions to 408, but also ignore the debit to 814 and only do a credit of £34.26.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          Looking at the journal, yeah I think it's basically a case of "showing all your workings". Ie you could cut out a couple of the entries and achieve the same effect, but to an outsider it might be less clear why.

If you wanted to you could not only cut out your bolded transactions to 408, but also ignore the debit to 814 and only do a credit of £34.26.
          That is how I had it originally, as the credit of £34.26 was what I actually paid HMRC, if the objective is to simple show my workings then fair enough, I am sure it matters somewhere but it's a small issue so one I am willing to keep doing until FA can take over the entire payroll

Comment

I use Sage One payroll and they too have (what looks like) unnecessary debits and credits which cancel each other out. You may find FA will still do that when you switch over.

Comment

The journals are correct

Hi SimonMac

The journals are correct, the reason it looks unnecessary is due the cancelling action in the beginning of the payroll year - it is best practice to log the transactions even though it seems fruitless at the time as if you are operating a large enough payroll you will run out of employers allowance in the tax year and when this happens it usually happens mid month giving a partial expense. There is a way to add payroll to FreeAgent mid tax year and account for previous salary/tax/NI - it would make your life a lot easier! (happy to talk you through it-no charge or hard sell I promise!!)

Can I ask if you're the only person on the payroll this tax year? Just wanting to save you a problem later in the tax year if you are.
              #notallaccountantsarethesame

Email Me
              Me on LinkedIn 15% off IPSE right here!

Comment

Working...
              X