• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick basic dividend question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick basic dividend question

My Ltd Co is just completing it's first year of accounts (financial year end is end of March 2018).

Retained profit is £22k.

What I wanted to know is if I could have declared a dividend of say £30k in March 2018 but to be paid later (i.e. when there are sufficient funds available) OR can the max dividend only be £22k so the company balance does not go into the red?

Originally posted by DesDixon View Post
    My Ltd Co is just completing it's first year of accounts (financial year end is end of March 2018).

Retained profit is £22k.

What I wanted to know is if I could have declared a dividend of say £30k in March 2018 but to be paid later (i.e. when there are sufficient funds available) OR can the max dividend only be £22k so the company balance does not go into the red?
    Dividends can only be paid from PROFITS after tax.

Limited Company Dividends Guide
    (Ignore anything to do with the dates. It's old)

I do hope it's your accountant that is preparing your accounts for you. Do we assume your accountant doesn't offer FA?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that, had a bit of a brain fart and appreciate the far quicker response than my Accountant

Comment

And a thread on deferred dividend payments which might be of interest...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-payments.html
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DesDixon View Post

Retained profit is £22k.

The question is academic, as you cannot backdate a dividend and we are a long way past March.
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 13:38.

Comment

Working...
          X