• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters and real estate agents are same

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiters and real estate agents are same

Here is my story of hiring process with COMPANY-X.

1) The agency advertised the job with the rate range £500-£575. Also still have job confirmation in my inbox though its been removed from Jobserve.

2) I applied for a job and agreed the rate of £550/day with the AGENCY-Y. Also have this email confirmation in my inbox.

3) I have been asked to complete the technical test. So, I completed the test.

4) First phone interview was arranged with ‘PERSON X’.
    During the interview I mentioned to PERSON X that you guys are looking for ‘Lead developer’ as the job spec file name ‘Lead developer’ and he confirmed that NO there is some mistake we are not looking for lead developer instead a java developer. So are you ok with that and I said that’s perfectly find because I am very hands on. After my interview I have sent an email to agency that why you sent the job spec with file name ‘Lead developer’. During the interview he also received my test result and he said I performed ‘very well’ and hopefully we will call for face to face interview. So, the point to note here is ‘PERSON X confirmed in an interview the job is for JAVA DEVELOPER AND NOT for LEAD DEVELOPER.’

5) I have been given a chance to appear in F2F interview and during the interview this is what
    PERSON Y has drawn on the board.

Team1 Team2
    T1 T1
    1 1
    2 2

We have two teams with ‘TECHNICAL LEADS T1’ and two developers and we are searching to add third in both teams. So, he also confirmed we are looking for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ AND NOT ‘LEAD DEVELOPER’.

Also, my technical test and discussion for 1.5 hours with the guys in the room was purely for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ and there was NOT a single question related to ‘LEAD DEVELOPER’. Hence point to be noted here is ‘PERSON Y’ has also confirmed in an interview that job is for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’.

6) After all the interviews and both technical tests the feedback is they really like you but they can’t offer you £550 instead they will offer you £475 so the rate is dropped by £75/day which was big surprise for me. And when I ask why and how can they reduce the rate by £75/day when I agreed the rate with you £550/day it’s a waste of my time/their time and I spent almost 1 day with their interviews and tests including traveling to their site. How can they reduce the rate like this and its completely not acceptable?

7) I also have the offer email in my inbox with the rate of £475.
    8) After asking couple of time over the phone and via email.
    This is what they said to me. We sent you CV for TECHNICAL JAVA LEAD ROLE with £550 but you are not a good fit for Leadership Position. Really? Both people in both interviews confirmed that they are looking for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ and the whole interview process was for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’. I have done the ‘LEAD ROLES’ and interviews in the past and I know what questions recruiters/companies asked for a ‘LEAD POSITION’. And in the end, they have reduced the rate by £75/day by saying I am not quite fit for ‘LEAD POSITION’.

9) More interesting part is the offer email was sent at 28 Sep 2018 11:16 and offer was retracted around 28 Sep 2018 13:39, almost 2 hours and 23 minutes later. Are they joking with candidates in the market or company has appointed joker agencies to hire ‘Java developers’? Really just given the time of 2 hours to accept or reject the offer??? I have both emails of offer/retracted in my inbox as well.

Someone in this process has made the blunder and they advertised the ‘Java developer’ role with the rate of ‘Lead developer’ or someone is lying in this chain.

1) Recruiter agreed with me £550 then did they not communicated this rate to company?
    2) Recruiter said the company given the feedback below where in both interviews the interviewers confirmed the position is not for LEAD. Who is lying here?
    3) Offer made for 2 hours and 23 minutes only. Not sure if they making something for NASA but really not acceptable. Who is making this all?

Copied from email as it is (Recuiter sent to me).
    We sent your CV for a Technical java lead Role with a rate of £550 per day. Then after the F2F interview the feedback was very positive, but they thought maybe not quite strong enough for the Leadership Position. Therefore, they would like to offer you a position for a Java Development role for £475 per day.

I spent 1 hour for technical test, half an hour for first phone interview and then almost half a day including travel to Manchester office and paid for parking almost £18.50 because I lost my parking ticket all because I was very interested in the company and position.

Want to know what you think? Who is making this all? Who has made this blunder in this chain or clearly lying?

Thank
    ifti

TL;DR
    The OP discovers that both the agent and the client were not quite as honest and straight with him as he expected and dropped the day-rate by £75 after the interview.

It’s one of those things, like when I blew a load of money on a flight to Glasgow for a contract that I was never going to get.

Move on to the next interview.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yep

Comment

At step 4 did you confirm with the agency that despite the mix up in the role being offered that they would still be paying the £550 rate? That is when you should have clarified everything so you would have at that point known whether to go forward as non-lead developer on the lower rate of £475.

I presume you mean they gave you two hours to accept the role at £475 and with you kicking off to some degree about the screw up too late in the process they may have retracted the offer thinking this one's a bit of a pain and they had another candidate lined up.

Moral of the story is don't assume anything except the agency is likely incompetent (or outright dishonest) and get clarification as early as possible in the process when it looks like there's a possibility of it not matching your expectations.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by ifti12 View Post

1) The agency advertised the job with the rate range £500-£575. Also still have job confirmation in my inbox though its been removed from Jobserve.

2) I applied for a job and agreed the rate of £550/day with the AGENCY-Y. Also have this email confirmation in my inbox.

During the interview I mentioned to PERSON X that you guys are looking for ‘Lead developer’ as the job spec file name ‘Lead developer’ and he confirmed that NO there is some mistake we are not looking for lead developer instead a java developer. So are you ok with that and I said that’s perfectly find because I am very hands on. After my interview I have sent an email to agency that why you sent the job spec with file name ‘Lead developer’. During the interview he also received my test result and he said I performed ‘very well’ and hopefully we will call for face to face interview. So, the point to note here is ‘PERSON X confirmed in an interview the job is for JAVA DEVELOPER AND NOT for LEAD DEVELOPER.’

5) I have been given a chance to appear in F2F interview and during the interview this is what

Team1 Team2
          T1 T1
          1 1
          2 2

We have two teams with ‘TECHNICAL LEADS T1’ and two developers and we are searching to add third in both teams. So, he also confirmed we are looking for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ AND NOT ‘LEAD DEVELOPER’.

Also, my technical test and discussion for 1.5 hours with the guys in the room was purely for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ and there was NOT a single question related to ‘LEAD DEVELOPER’. Hence point to be noted here is ‘PERSON Y’ has also confirmed in an interview that job is for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’.

6) After all the interviews and both technical tests the feedback is they really like you but they can’t offer you £550 instead they will offer you £475 so the rate is dropped by £75/day which was big surprise for me. And when I ask why and how can they reduce the rate by £75/day when I agreed the rate with you £550/day it’s a waste of my time/their time and I spent almost 1 day with their interviews and tests including traveling to their site. How can they reduce the rate like this and its completely not acceptable?

This is what they said to me. We sent you CV for TECHNICAL JAVA LEAD ROLE with £550 but you are not a good fit for Leadership Position. Really? Both people in both interviews confirmed that they are looking for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’ and the whole interview process was for ‘JAVA DEVELOPER’. I have done the ‘LEAD ROLES’ and interviews in the past and I know what questions recruiters/companies asked for a ‘LEAD POSITION’. And in the end, they have reduced the rate by £75/day by saying I am not quite fit for ‘LEAD POSITION’.

9) More interesting part is the offer email was sent at 28 Sep 2018 11:16 and offer was retracted around 28 Sep 2018 13:39, almost 2 hours and 23 minutes later. Are they joking with candidates in the market or company has appointed joker agencies to hire ‘Java developers’? Really just given the time of 2 hours to accept or reject the offer??? I have both emails of offer/retracted in my inbox as well.

Someone in this process has made the blunder and they advertised the ‘Java developer’ role with the rate of ‘Lead developer’ or someone is lying in this chain.

1) Recruiter agreed with me £550 then did they not communicated this rate to company?
          2) Recruiter said the company given the feedback below where in both interviews the interviewers confirmed the position is not for LEAD. Who is lying here?
          3) Offer made for 2 hours and 23 minutes only. Not sure if they making something for NASA but really not acceptable. Who is making this all?

We sent your CV for a Technical java lead Role with a rate of £550 per day. Then after the F2F interview the feedback was very positive, but they thought maybe not quite strong enough for the Leadership Position. Therefore, they would like to offer you a position for a Java Development role for £475 per day.

I spent 1 hour for technical test, half an hour for first phone interview and then almost half a day including travel to Manchester office and paid for parking almost £18.50 because I lost my parking ticket all because I was very interested in the company and position.

Want to know what you think? Who is making this all? Who has made this blunder in this chain or clearly lying?

Thank
          ifti
          What to do?

Dry your eyes and move on

Comment

Originally posted by ifti12 View Post

Team1 Team2
            T1 T1
            1 1
            2 2

Thank
            ifti
            Sounds like they dodged a bullet.

Comment

tl;dr - boo hoo

Comment

Never seen so much drama in one post lol.

Personally I think its their fault for you losing the parking ticket. You must have been flustered.

OP - Serious question. How often have you dealt with agencies and clients before? I think you are expecting a bit much here, namely, being properly organised and maybe honest.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Never seen so much drama in one post lol.

Personally I think its their fault for you losing the parking ticket. You must have been flustered.

OP - Serious question. How often have you dealt with agencies and clients before? I think you are expecting a bit much here, namely, being properly organised and maybe honest.
                  you read all that?
                  Someone needs to get out more.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

£475 for a Java Developer in Manchester and you're moaning? Get a grip you weirdo.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X