• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loss due to delayed start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss due to delayed start date

I signed a DocuSign contract with my agent, that has a start date of September 1st, 2018 for a big corporation in Barcelona. I relocated from the UK on August 27th, 2018. I rented an apartment and turned up for work on September 1st. When I got to the office, the receptionist kindly informed me that the corporation, I was working for, will not be moving to this building until the beginning of November, 2018. I then phoned my agent, who then phoned the client. In the end, I started working for the client on September 17th at a different address. In fact, the new work address I was given, is much further away from my apartment. So, my commute cost has been increased as well.

I am currently seeking compensation for 9 days worth of work, which I was available to carry out. I made this point clear by e-mail to both the agent and the client on September 1st, 2018, when I found out that the Start Date in my contract had not been adhered to.

Any ideas on how best to proceed?

Getting a flat before you've even started: don't count your chickens until they've hatched.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Does it also say you get paid on receipt of a signed timesheet? If you didn't work, you don't have a signed timesheet and you don't get paid. It's part of the Time and materials way we work.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

@OP: I moved your post into a new thread as you were asking a question of a poster not seen since he last posted 13 years ago.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          Getting a flat before you've even started: don't count your chickens until they've hatched.
          This ^^^^^
          i'd get a hotel/ airb'n'b for the first month, and look for a flat if i thought it was a workable gig.

Comment

Rent an apartment - are you mad?

How long are you tied in for? What if it'd been canned?

Personally, if I'm working away, at the beginning, I dont even book a hotel I can't cancel up until midday on the day.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X