• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reducing the day rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you understand IR35? Not a lot to go on but I'd say if you don't you could have some issues with that setup.

Did you qualify this? The agency just rocks up and says 5% cut. Fair enough as your contract is with them but did you find out if the client initiated it? Has the client cut the rate or the agent? Very important detail.

You agreed the cut. You've made a new contract either verbally or via email. Why did you go against what you agreed? Of course it's gone wrong.

It doesn't need to be on paper to be a contract. It's pretty poor of the agency not to supply you a new contract yes. But ignoring what you agreed and picking the old rate wasn't the correct thing to do.

They don't have to issue you with a new contract. It could just be a change to the payment terms.

Another very important detail you've missed. Did they do this mid contract or at renewal time? Very important distinction so we need to know.

And... have you been getting contracts every time you've been renewed in the past and it's just this time you are not getting a contract? Or have you just been carrying on even though the old contract expired?

No you are not.

Not a problem. Your accountant will help you sort it out. It's not complex.

and it's ADIVSE!!!!!! Not often we get it this way wrong but still annoying.
    Haha Adivse? are you sure?

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
      Haha Adivse? are you sure?
      Finally! Someone has spotted it at last. That's the last time I'm putting deliberate errors in to keep you lot entertained.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

it's a bit late now, but I've have told the agency that he can suck my balls.

He's been merrily taking his slice of the pie for 3 years. He's not going to let you go for sake of that 5% even if it means him reducing his own margin.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          it's a bit late now, but I've have told the agency that he can suck my balls.

He's been merrily taking his slice of the pie for 3 years. He's not going to let you go for sake of that 5% even if it means him reducing his own margin.
          that 5% to OP could be 90% of the agents margin

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            that 5% to OP could be 90% of the agents margin
            True. But he's not done anything for 3 years to earn it. And if the OP walks the agent has to find someone else, or even worse lose the position totally. It's certainly not something you just accept when you're clearly in demand with the client and have demonstrated staying power.

Would the agency rather have just 10% of the margin for another 3 years, or the full margin for a shorter period?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X