• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anticorruption, Bribery, Ethics training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anticorruption, Bribery, Ethics training

Hi
    I need an urgent help.
    I've been on a project for several month. My client is a global private company
    Suddenly we had an email circulation stating that "... mandatory for both permanent and temporary staff to complete a "Anticorruption, Bribery, Ethics training".
    I know that as a contactor I (my ltd) provide all the training for myself. "Health and safety" can be an exception (https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ideration.html)

Does "Anticorruption, Bribery, Ethics" training falls into the same category as "Health and safety" ?
    We were warned that our access to the company will be blocked on Wed if the trainings are not complated

Is there any new law that demands the global companies to make sure that everyone has accomplished something like this (i would imagine it being highly unlikely..) ? Where does this take us with regards to IR35 ?

Thank you!

Does "Anticorruption, Bribery, Ethics" training falls into the same category as "Health and safety" ?
    Probably.

My client has regular stuff like that - mandatory to permanent, temporary and external workers. That includes workers for big consultancies.

There's no law as such, but if workers break the rules - e.g. by manipulating LIBOR - then the liability lies with the worker, not with the company. If you do something naughty at the behest of your client/employee when these things are in place, it's a good idea to show that your manager was complicit...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Get it done. It's a client condition of anyone being on site - while you're being treated the same as a permie, you're also being treated the same as a consultant.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
        Yes. They all fall under compliance and risk management.

It's not an IR35 issue. I'm not quite sure why this question keeps being asked. At some point, working in an organsiation you're going to do a lot of things that permies also do. Or do you take your own porta-potty in with you?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thank you guys for a quick reply! Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Get it done. It's a client condition of anyone being on site - while you're being treated the same as a permie, you're also being treated the same as a consultant.

This.

Any training that is required by the client for you to have access to their site or their systems is a requirement for you to carry out the contract.
            This includes (non-exhaustive list):
            Health & Safety
            GDPR
            Anti-corruption
            Bribery
            Ethics
            Security
            Acceptable use of the client systems

In Healthcare, you may have to do other courses on patient confidentiality
            In Finance, you may have to do other courses relating to insider trading.
            etc.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
              We were warned that our access to the company will be blocked on Wed if the trainings are not completed
              Doesn't that answer your own question? Even if it were a minor flag for IR35 is it worth getting canned for?
              Is there any new law that demands the global companies to make sure that everyone has accomplished something like this (i would imagine it being highly unlikely..) ? Where does this take us with regards to IR35 ?
              There are no laws to make you do it but there is a bloody minefield of ones the company can fall foul of if they don't, particularly financial and civil roles. It's all about companies carrying out due diligence and common sense kinda dictates this is everyone doing work for them, not just permies. How can it be right that one permie has to act appropriately and not be bribed/corrupted yet the contractor with the same permissions doesn't have to?

On the laws, go have a look for them. It might help you understand why. The bribery one for example.
              UK Bribery Act - A Guide for Companies from JMW Solicitors
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only had one client that's not made me do some variation of this

If you ever have the pleasure of working for a bank you'll be force-fed it every quarter. Just press "next" as much as possible and you'll soon get the hang of what the expect for answers from the multiple choice.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

If you ever have the pleasure of working for a bank you'll be force-fed it every quarter. Just press "next" as much as possible and you'll soon get the hang of what the expect for answers from the multiple choice.
                  I used to hate doing these sort of things, but actually they're basically one step above a coffee break. Grab a fresh brew, lean your chair back and crack on!
                  Last edited by vwdan; 18 October 2018, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

take screenshots of any you get wrong, and in the unlikely event you fail you just go and do them again. These tests aren't there to send you home, so you get as many shots as you like to complete them.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X