• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC / Qdos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC / Qdos

Hi,

Has anyone used the insurance services provided by QDOS to deal with HMRC enquires? How was the experience?

Also does QDOS insurance policy (TLC35) pay the tax amount demanded by the HMRC or does the policy only conver the professional fees required to deal with the case?

Thanks in advance..

Originally posted by neel9821 View Post
    Also does QDOS insurance policy (TLC35) pay the tax amount demanded by the HMRC or does the policy only conver the professional fees required to deal with the case?

Thanks in advance..
    I don't wish to be rude as I've not been been very popular the last few days but have you actually tried reading the policy details? Surely when you take your car, house and whatever insurance out you do you r research to make sure you are covered? Bearing in mind this is a pretty fundamental question you'd expect it to be explained in the policy wording?

But... as I am always helpful however rude....

The QDOS Tax insurance page is here.
    Tax Liability Insurance - IR35 Insurance - Qdos Contractor

In the additional info tab it says...

Representation costs up to £50,000 in the event of:

A PAYE compliance review

An IR35 dispute

A PAYE/NIC dispute

A VAT dispute

Any HMRC aspect enquiry

Any HMRC full enquiry

A Section 660A dispute (For an additional premium of £2​77 per annum you can also include cover for tax, interest and penalties as a result of a Section 660A enquiry. This option can be selected during application)

2. IR35 tax/NIC liabilities, interest and penalties
    But if that doesn't clear it up for you you can scroll down a little bit more and the find the link for the policy wording which is here...
    https://www.qdoscontractor.com/docum...8-15-17-44.pdf

In that doc on page 3 it goes in to detail about what the policy covers.. particularly..

Section 9. Status Enquiry Taxes and Interest
    Any taxes and interest, which may be imposed upon a policyholder or the appointed consultant by HMRC in connection
    with an employment status enquiry as covered in Section 7. Status Enquiries.
    Section 10. Status Enquiry Penalties
    Any additional payments necessarily arising from a settlement, which are both related to the tax to be paid and capable of
    mitigation and which are imposed upon a policyholder or the appointed consultant by HMRC in connection with an
    employment status enquiry as covered in Section 7. Status Enquiries.
    And I'd advise you read page 4 which shows what it won't cover as well.

Took me less and 2 mins to do all that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are struggling with this then IMO buy both TLC35 and get yourself IPSE+ membership. IPSE+ in a no brainer whatever due to the extra cover (i'll let you go find what it is this time) and the potential savings from the benefits scheme.

You can then get the TLC35 on top. A couple of us do this. Others don't see the point of both.. but it's just too cheap to worry about it...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't wish to be rude as I've not been been very popular the last few days but have you actually tried reading the policy details? Surely when you take your car, house and whatever insurance out you do you r research to make sure you are covered? Bearing in mind this is a pretty fundamental question you'd expect it to be explained in the policy wording?

But... as I am always helpful however rude....

The QDOS Tax insurance page is here.
        Tax Liability Insurance - IR35 Insurance - Qdos Contractor

In the additional info tab it says...

But if that doesn't clear it up for you you can scroll down a little bit more and the find the link for the policy wording which is here...
        https://www.qdoscontractor.com/docum...8-15-17-44.pdf

In that doc on page 3 it goes in to detail about what the policy covers.. particularly..

And I'd advise you read page 4 which shows what it won't cover as well.

Took me less and 2 mins to do all that.
        Thanks for your reply.. I dont have the policy and therefore couldn’t read the document. I will certainly follow the link you have provided..

PS:- you are not rude, you just pointed out something that I should have done before creating the thread!!

Comment

Originally posted by neel9821 View Post
          Thanks for your reply.. I dont have the policy and therefore couldn’t read the document. I will certainly follow the link you have provided..

PS:- you are not rude, you just pointed out something that I should have done before creating the thread!!
          Good stuff and thanks for understanding. All insurances will allow you to read the policy details before you sign up. Otherwise how would you know exactly what you are buying?

On the other point. I think we've got 2 people here that have been through and investigation but I've no idea who represented them.

QDOS themselves do post on here and have made comments as far as they can on the open web about investigations. This is one of them as an example.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post1635382
          Last edited by northernladuk; 19 October 2018, 13:58.

Comment

With reference to NLUK's comment above about some people thinking TLC35 is a waste of money...

My view is that Qdos (or any similar firm, for that matter) will not insure you for something if there's a high risk of a claim. I have never had the policy, so I have no first hand experience, but I seem to recall that TLC35 is only valid if a contract check passed it as being outside.

Comment

Working...
            X