• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requesting LI profile changes, employee style signature, etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client requesting LI profile changes, employee style signature, etc

I recently started at a new client on a project (a consultancy and an end client), and I've received some odd requests from the consultancy that are causing me a little bit of concern as I haven't encountered them before anywhere I've been:

1. They want me to update my LinkedIn profile to say I am working for them along with a provided advertising blurb (this request doesn't bother me too much as I'll find a way to make it clear I'm contracting with them and this the blurb is how they describe their business). They've chased me about it a number of times over just a few days (so I know they're serious).
    2. They want me to change my email signature to look like one of their employee's (Name - 'Job title' - TheirCo etc).
    3. They don't want me to tell the end client that I'm a contractor at any point (!)
    4. We (everyone on the project) are all in the same hotel. They booked it, MyCo paid for it, and they will reimburse (expenses are covered in the contract).
    5. They've also asked me to fill in some additional end client forms that are very employee-employer (So much so that I've sent them off for IR35 advice).

The contract itself is squarely outside of IR35 (I had it checked before we got started) and the other things about this are OK (including rate, hours etc) so it's probably (?) no big deal but some of these requests are feeling a little weird as I've not had clients pushing things like this before.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by man; 20 October 2018, 17:21. Reason: Tone amended

Originally posted by man View Post
    1. They want me to update my LinkedIn profile to say I am working for them along with a provided advertising blurb (this request doesn't bother me too much as I'll find a way to make it clear I'm contracting with them and this the blurb is how they describe their business). They've chased me about it a number of times over just a few days (so I know they're serious).
    I'd tell them to go forth and fornicate. This is your personal page as a professional and not their advertising space. Period.
    2. They want me to change my email signature to look like one of their employee's (Name - 'Job title' - TheirCo etc).
    Not an issue in isolation....
    3. They don't want me to tell the end client that I'm a contractor at any point (!)
    What is the penalty for failing this. Its got to come out at some point surely. Starting to look like D&C at this point.
    4. We (everyone on the project) are all in the same hotel. They booked it, MyCo paid for it, and they will reimburse (expenses are covered in the contract).
    Fine.
    5. They've also asked me to fill in some additional end client forms that are very employee-employer (So much so that I've sent them off for IR35 advice).
    Depends what it is. If it's H&S and It/security policies then it will apply to anyone on site so not an IR35 issue.
    The contract itself is squarely outside of IR35 (I had it checked before we got started) and the other things about this are OK (including rate, hours etc). I'm probably just overreacting (?) but I'm now feeling a bit weirded out by some of the requests as I've not had clients pushing anything like this before.

Thoughts?
    The contract might be but there seems to be a bit of D&C coming in here. They want you to look like an employee so it isn't a far step to treat you like one as well. A couple of things you mention in isolation are OK but it would be starting to make me nervous.

I've never been sure how a working practices check can be done before you start a gig but I'd be looking in to having one with this gig. Speak to QDOS and see what they say.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just do what they ask. It’s not uncommon.
      Also leave your contractor company as a live engagement.

When you leave, or are trying to leave, you can make it say what you want.

Some battles aren’t worth fighting.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I walked when the ‘consultancy’ printed business cards for me.

Just saying...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Just do what they ask. It’s not uncommon.
          Also leave your contractor company as a live engagement.

When you leave, or are trying to leave, you can make it say what you want.

Some battles aren’t worth fighting.
          I don't agree with this personally. What the OP has listed could be just the tip of the iceberg. I'm with Cojak on this one. Unless I was desperate I'd be tempted to leave this one.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The fibbing to end clients one is an odd one, but insanely common even in the permie consultancy space.

Personally, I'd refuse to ever change my LI profile (They may as well ask you to change your website) but I don't mind White lies by omission. Generally, once the end client know you it becomes a non-issue and nobody cares but it doesn't tend to come up that often tbh.

I'm unclear on the signature - on their email system? That's standard - most companies don't care to boast about who is a contractor. If it's your own email you're using then it's so ridiculously stupid you should walk ok principle.

What I will say is that there are fine lines between picking your battles vs being a walkover and acting like a contractor vs being difficult. It's a hard balance, but IMHO a huge part of it is not being in a place where you're desperate and can't walk.

Take the Linked In request, as an example. No Contractor should have any qualms responding with a polite email that you consider LI to be you and your companies marketing and that you don't accept marketing requests from clients. They like it, lump it or you walk - simple. In my experience, done delicately it can actually move the relationship to where it needs to be - i.e., B2B
            Last edited by vwdan; 20 October 2018, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              The fibbing to end clients one is an odd one, but insanely common even in the permie consultancy space.
              It's not that odd to me. They don't want their end client to know you are a contractor that they could have just hired themselves. They want to keep the illusion that they have qualified staff on payroll to work on projects.

Comment

I wouldn't change LI; it's my page, not theirs. If it's a show stopper then refusing would depend on my cash flow at the time - I'd consider putting it up there and then quickly taking it down again. Ditto above - I always keep MyCo as an active role and my headline always clearly states I'm a freelancer.

I wouldn't necessarily announce to the client that I'm a contractor but, if asked how long I had worked for the consultancy for example, I'd say they engaged me for this gig and I've never worked for them before. Otherwise you then have to keep up the pretence of answering questions like, what do you do when the consultancy doesn't have a client for you? Which is what I have asked of permies working for consultancies

Anyone at the client co is soon going to spot I'm a freelancer if they look me up on LI anyway.

Comment

Simples. Just make another LinkedIn profile for that gig. Then delete it when you're done. For company email systems, yes, it's quite normal to go with client standard requirements. Once you get more milage under your belt, all this will be second nature. If the client asks about your "employment" or similar, then just be honest and tell them you are on a project hire basis. But it's not normally necessary to initially raise this kind of conversation yourself.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    It's not that odd to me. They don't want their end client to know you are a contractor that they could have just hired themselves. They want to keep the illusion that they have qualified staff on payroll to work on projects.
                    I worked on a project with Cap Gemini as the consultancy partner. They couldn't get enough good quality developers, so had to take on contractors. They didn't want us to know, but we found out anyway - funny thing was, CG were making a loss on the contractors. (Reducing their profits on the more fluffy and therefore more expensive management and business consultants).
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X