• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountants in Denial over IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also worth bearing in mind that capital treatment is based on on TiS legislation and that will be applied at the time a distribution is made, whereas ER is something you claim via your self-assessment for the tax year in which the distribution was received. The high bar is the capital treatment, the low bar is the ER, relatively speaking. People often aggregate these two different things (capital treatment and ER), but they are distinct. It's possible that the funds could be split into two distributions (e.g. one large, one small) that span two different personal tax years.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbrain View Post
      Good point, very good point indeed! Kicking myself for not thinking about that myself.
      My invoice is on the way. I did tell you I work on a percentage basis, right? I'm not greedy, 5% of what you save by going ER instead of taking it all in one large dollop of dividends, and I'll be content.

I personally am not as sure as you that MVL before 2020 is the way to go. It's not my plan. I'm just saying that if that is what you think, there are risks in waiting too long.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        The IR35 reforms however make that risk more real and importantly, more capable of being calculated, and a finance director asking for and receiving a report on the possible cost, is going to be quite concerned.

How will they react?

Either they will seek to reduce the risk by reducing the number of contractors - in favour of permies perhaps - which at least allows them to forecast numbers and prevent embarrassing reports to stock exchanges of errors and unknown contingencies - which means higher costs which will be offset against paying employees a lower rate than the contractor role - or they will apply blanket "inside IR35" decisions and impose cuts in rates to offset costs.

This they will do as it will be difficult to transfer a legal obligation to pay tax and em'er NIC to an intermediary. To do that, they would have to rely upon a warranty or indemnity from the intermediary which means taking a significant financial risk on that intermediaries integrity. Would you do that?
        Or they will treat the risk the same way they treat most other risks -- insure against it. TLC35 -- Engager's Edition is about to become a big thing. Whether they pay for it, or contractors pay for it, will be a point of negotiation, no doubt. But that is the least intrusive way to deal with the risk and eliminates any need for any significant restructuring.

A lot of roles will be determined by clients to be inside. A lot of others will be determined to be outside but only with insurance in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          I'm sending out two newsletters:

Maslins - everything as normal, nothing to see here, keep on contracting indefinitely peeps!

MVLO - OMG contracting's gonna collapse, everyone liquidate via us quick before it's too late!

Hope nobody notices the contradiction
          Note to self: don't trust Maslins' advice but invest in his company, he knows marketing.

Comment

Back in 99, when the original press release came out, everyone thought the world as we knew it for freelancers would end. Here we are 19 years later, same story.

There will be a way through this latest set of hurdles, I’m sure. For now we need to see a bit more on HMRCs plans (if that isn’t an oxymoron)

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              Back in 99, when the original press release came out, everyone thought the world as we knew it for freelancers would end.
              Yeah but, to be fair, the original plans looked a lot like the public sector rules that they're now about to roll out, 19 years later.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbrain View Post
                I will be off next year, winding up, claiming ER, going brolly, waiting 2 years then spinning up another LTD once the dust settles and if it is favourable.
                I won't be doing anything different, unless you can tell me the name of a brolly that charges less per month than it costs me to run a company. I don't understand how running a PSC, including payroll for one person, costs a third less than it costs to add the same person to a brolly's payroll, but the last time I checked, it did. That was a few years ago though, so maybe the increased demand for brolly's will result in better terms?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                  I won't be doing anything different, unless ...

If the current public sector rules get rolled out to private sector as is then there is no point to using a Ltd as the tax must be paid by the last entity in the chain engaging the contractor. i.e. the agency. Which is why many agencies have required contractors to use a brolly so they don't have to sort out the tax themselves as they are no longer the last entity in the chain. It's not allowed for the Ltd to receive payment gross of tax under IR35.

So Ltd is only really beneficial if doing mostly outside IR35 contracts, based on current public sector IR35 rules.

As for cost of brollies vs Ltd, I've not checked the figures to be sure but the more reasonably priced brollies (charging a fixed rate per month rather than a percentage) probably cost no more than what it costs for accountancy services over a year for a Ltd.

In other words, worth researching the current state of play regarding public sector IR35 and what you may want to do to avoid certain scenarios depending on what happens with IR35 in the private sector over the coming 18 months.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                    I won't be doing anything different, unless you can tell me the name of a brolly that charges less per month than it costs me to run a company. I don't understand how running a PSC, including payroll for one person, costs a third less than it costs to add the same person to a brolly's payroll, but the last time I checked, it did. That was a few years ago though, so maybe the increased demand for brolly's will result in better terms?
                    What you may be overlooking is the handling of pension contributions. If you are making large pension contributions, the rules as applied in the public sector end up with tax and NI being paid on the pension contribution, too. You can go ahead and make the pension contributions personally and reclaim the income tax on your self assessment, but not the NI.

But you can use a brolly that will treat your pension contribution as salary sacrifice and make the contribution for you.

So to get the whole picture you have to offset that savings and the accounting costs, etc, vs the brolly fees. And then you have to decide if the hassle of running a Ltd company is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      If the current public sector rules get rolled out to private sector as is then there is no point to using a Ltd as the tax must be paid by the last entity in the chain engaging the contractor. i.e. the agency. Which is why many agencies have required contractors to use a brolly so they don't have to sort out the tax themselves as they are no longer the last entity in the chain. It's not allowed for the Ltd to receive payment gross of tax under IR35.
                      Thanks. that's useful information about the agencies insisting on brollies so they can offload the admin, I hadn't thought of that. So I may not have any choice.

As for cost of brollies vs Ltd, I've not checked the figures to be sure but the more reasonably priced brollies (charging a fixed rate per month rather than a percentage) probably cost no more than what it costs for accountancy services over a year for a Ltd.
                      My accountant charges £62.50 a month for running a company, I don't recall seeing any brollys that charge less than £100.

In other words, worth researching the current state of play regarding public sector IR35 and what you may want to do to avoid certain scenarios depending on what happens with IR35 in the private sector over the coming 18 months.
                      No idea what you mean here, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X