• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Leave while under Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazzblogz View Post
    My wife has been unwell in Hospital which forced me to take a few days off
    Given they have nurses and that sort of thing it is not immediately obvious why you took several days off. If you want to be at home because of needs your wife has then a client might be slighty concerned whether you will be working flat out to earn your day rate or playing home nurse for some of the time. I could see why people could be concerned about what you are asking for. Your tone is vaguely permie. Maybe trying to negotiate some guaranteed deliverables or extended hours to make the deal more attractive to them
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Given they have nurses and that sort of thing it is not immediately obvious why you took several days off. If you want to be at home because of needs your wife has then a client might be slighty concerned whether you will be working flat out to earn your day rate or playing home nurse for some of the time. I could see why people could be concerned about what you are asking for. Your tone is vaguely permie. Maybe trying to negotiate some guaranteed deliverables or extended hours to make the deal more attractive to them

I am not taking "several days off" in any shape or form. My wife will have mobility issues for a week or so. I will be around "just in case".
      I have offered deliverables and extended hours and out of office hours. The thing is they initially agreed, I worked, then they withdrew. Not for any concern on that fron but "for my wifes sake" and without discussion or consultation. Any concerns can be assuaged with measuring my deliverables on a daily basis.
      Many contractors wfh with my current client and elsewhere...we always get measured by our SOW/Tasks/Deliverables. Ive been doing this for 20 years and never come across a client like this.

Using the term "playing home nurse" is being quite disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        For permies. You aren't a permie. You are a supplier and and expensive one at that (in their eyes).
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Which he has done and they said no. Do keep up.
        Then they are in breach of contract.

The OP posted the relevant section of his contract which clearly states:

"The Consultancy will be at liberty to determine the location at which the Consultancy Services will be provided"

Do keep up yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

"The Consultancy will be at liberty to determine the location at which the Consultancy Services will be provided"

Do keep up yourself.
          And he's free to try pull it. Once he does this, in no particular order, the clause will be scrubbed from any future contracts and they'll pull a couple of other ones out allows them to walk him on the spot.

The client is treating him like dog dirt. You don't think they'll suddenly apologise and back down do you?

And just for clarity on 2nd quote, I said that because the quotee said tell them what he wants which he has already done so is of no help.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

Do keep up yourself.
            Good luck with that.

Contracting isn't the level playing field that the contract makes it out to be. It should be, but it isn't. Kick up a fuss, you're walked; face doesn't fit, you're walked; politics kick in, you're walked.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Good luck with that.

Contracting isn't the level playing field that the contract makes it out to be. It should be, but it isn't. Kick up a fuss, you're walked; face doesn't fit, you're walked; politics kick in, you're walked.
              maybe i should add an additional "walking" fee into my contract.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Good luck with that.

I don't disagree with what you're saying and I know many clients think exactly this way, however, what this means is that nothing within your contract is worth the paper it's written on and we're all, in effect, under complete D&C of the client - i.e. If the client says "Jump", you can refuse to but you'll be walked, so if you want to keep the contract you simply do as you're told.

Comment

Call their bluff then and say that you'll leave or return at such point as it's convenient for you.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

FFS OP there are good clients and there are bad clients. Sounds like this one is not particularly good but thats life.

In my experience, given what you've experiences there are some that would go for WFH, some who wouldn't to be honest.

Thing is you can't "make" them be decent. They're paying you at the end of the day. I'd be pissed off too mind and that'd be the last time they get favours out of me.

Trouble is if you kick off and play the contract working thing you might end up with no contract at all.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Trouble is if you kick off and play the contract working thing you might end up with no contract at all.
                      And if you don't, you're sending them a clear message that you're a subservient doormat and they'll take it as carte blanche to continually treat you like one.

Comment

Working...
                      X