• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK limited company, working for a company in Germany (fully remote and based in UK)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK limited company, working for a company in Germany (fully remote and based in UK)

Hi,

(Hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere. I did try to search the forums but I only saw results for people living in Germany, which is not my case.)

The title says it all, really. I have got my own company set in the UK which I use to do contracting work (also in the UK). I've got now a very interesting opportunity to do a contracting gig for a big, well-known company in Germany. This will be fully remote although I might occasionally drop by. All the rest of the team is based there. There will be no intermediaries, they will pay my company directly (which I understand it's quite unusual for a big company but I was able to manage).

I suppose this is a fairly straightforward arrangement. Given that I won't live in Germany, I suppose I don't have to register myself or declare any taxes there? I'm just asking after searching the threads and read tons of horror stories about Germany. But I assume that's the case for people contracting through their UK company and also residing in Germany?

Anything else I need to be careful about?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by hotei View Post
    Hi,

(Hopefully this hasn't been answered elsewhere. I did try to search the forums but I only saw results for people living in Germany, which is not my case.)

The title says it all, really. I have got my own company set in the UK which I use to do contracting work (also in the UK). I've got now a very interesting opportunity to do a contracting gig for a big, well-known company in Germany. This will be fully remote although I might occasionally drop by. All the rest of the team is based there. There will be no intermediaries, they will pay my company directly (which I understand it's quite unusual for a big company but I was able to manage).

I suppose this is a fairly straightforward arrangement. Given that I won't live in Germany, I suppose I don't have to register myself or declare any taxes there? I'm just asking after searching the threads and read tons of horror stories about Germany. But I assume that's the case for people contracting through their UK company and also residing in Germany?

Anything else I need to be careful about?

Thanks for the help.
    The fact that nobody has any idea what the situation will be in just over 4 months time.

In effect you'll be exporting services. You need to understand the VAT position in that regard so get an accountant.

The current Brexit deal under discussion has no agreement on services so it doesn't seem likely you'll be able to continue after March next year in the same way. But nobody knows. The only way you'll not be impacted is if Brexit is cancelled (or postponed). So if I were you I wouldn't be making any long term plans on the back of this opportunity.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

check that your PI insurance covers Germany. Although if you got that wrong it's probably no big deal and if they sued you for incompetence you'd wind the company anyway. The client may have some requirements around insurance.

Talk to your local business groups. There's usually help from those about some of the finer details about international trade.
      And try this Get help and support for your business - GOV.UK
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
      X