• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Apparently, mobile phone on business, with business not paying for the air time is a no-no.
    Apparently says who? Because they are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      I currently have an all you can eat data and minutes with Three for £20 on a rolling monthly plan in another phone This is paid for personally. I am a heavy data user.

The cheapest comparable business plan with unlimited data is a 12 month plan at £30 excluding VAT. This is more expensive than a personal plan both in cost and duration.
      Last time I was shopping around for a new plan for my Ltd's phone I spoke to Vodafone (as in actually phoned them and talked to a real person) - they offered me a plan that was advertised as a personal plan (i.e. cheaper than the comparable advertised business one) and let me take it out in my Ltd's name.

So, decent priced plan that's invoiced to & paid for by my Ltd - good to go

Comment

I use a personal SIM in my company's phone. The phone was purchased as essential hardware since I develop phone apps for my clients; I never actually use it for business-related phone calls. Calls are all personal, so I'm quite happy to just have a personal plan (£7.50 a month from GiffGaff).

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
          Apparently says who? Because they are wrong.
          What's exempt
          You don’t have to report anything to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or deduct and pay tax and National Insurance if both the following apply:
          - you provide your employee with only one mobile phone or SIM card
          - the phone contract is between you and the supplier

Expenses and benefits: mobile phones: What's exempt - GOV.UK

Unless both conditions above are met, you would have to report it as BIK. Debatable, I know...

Comment

Apparently, mobile phone on business, with business not paying for the air time is a no-no.
            Rubbish. An employer can provide one mobile phone (and/or mobile plan) for mixed business and personal use. There's nothing in HMRCs guidance that suggests you must do both (i.e. it's fine to use a personal SIM in a business phone where the business pays for just the phone, or a business SIM in a personal handset, where the business just pays for the contract).

Comment

What's exempt
              You don’t have to report anything to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) or deduct and pay tax and National Insurance if both the following apply:
              - you provide your employee with only one mobile phone or SIM card
              - the phone contract is between you and the supplier

Expenses and benefits: mobile phones: What's exempt - GOV.UK

Unless both conditions above are met, you would have to report it as BIK. Debatable, I know...
              What this means is if the business pays for a plan and that contract is not in the company name, then it is treated as a BIK. It clearly says "one mobile phone OR SIM card".

If you are paying for the personal SIM out of your own money then it cannot be a BIK as you aren't receiving any benefit.

Read the technical guidance:
              EIM21779 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

In most circumstances the provision of one mobile ‘phone to a director or employee for private use is exempt from charge. The exemption covers the phone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid for by the employer on that phone.
              Any phone paid for by the business should be invoiced int he company name. Any contract (if there is one) should be in the company name IF it is to be paid for by the company.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 14 November 2018, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                What this means is if the business pays for a plan and that contract is not in the company name, then it is treated as a BIK. It clearly says "one mobile phone OR SIM card".

If you are paying for the personal SIM out of your own money then it cannot be a BIK as you aren't receiving any benefit.

Read the technical guidance:
                EIM21779 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

Any phone paid for by the business should be invoiced int he company name. Any contract (if there is one) should be in the company name IF it is to be paid for by the company.
                Thanks for beating me to this

Comment

So personal sim ok as long as not paid by Co.

i am disappointed with the XS max. The only decent feature i like is the face id. That’s a lot of money down the drain

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                    So personal sim ok as long as not paid by Co.

i am disappointed with the XS max. The only decent feature i like is the face id. That’s a lot of money down the drain
                    Someone ought to just take everything off the Apple wiki page and just replace it with that.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X