• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone?

I am just about to replace my iphone purchased via the ltd co. 4 yrs ago.
    I will also be ditching the existing (business) sim only plan for a personal plan which will be paid personally.

Can I use a personal plan in a business purchased mobile or the plan needs to be business as well? Will HMRC require that the plan also have to be a business contract?

Thanks

They don’t care. Good excuse for the new iPhone with dual sim though. Get a PAYG business sim and use the esim for personal use.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      Can I use a personal plan in a business purchased mobile or the plan needs to be business as well? Will HMRC require that the plan also have to be a business contract?
      Thanks
      I have looked into this and my conclusion is that if you get a contract it needs to be on the business.
      You can work around it by getting a pay as you go SIM, and loading it with monthly bundles paid by the company. This seems like an acceptable compromise from what I've read.

However, lately, there are a few established mobile phone websites that have business rates listed, which are much better than going direct to the big providers.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        I am just about to replace my iphone purchased via the ltd co. 4 yrs ago.
        I will also be ditching the existing (business) sim only plan for a personal plan which will be paid personally.

Thanks
        We've done phones a million times now but your detail is confusing.

Why are you getting a personal sim? You are happy to pay for the sim personally to make work phone calls on the work phone.. or?
        Are you not using it for work hence the personal sim but you expect to use a company asset purely for personal calls?

What exactly will you be doing? Get that clear and what you need to do should be pretty obvious. If it isn't there are 100's of threads on it here. I would have though someone with a 12 year old account and 600+ posts might have know how to research this better.

mobile phone site:forums.contractoruk.com - Bing
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It doesn't really matter, but you won't be able to claim the cost of the personal SIM through the business, only the handset (the handset invoice should really be in company name) and itemised business calls. If this works out cheaper than a business plan with the tax saving (don't forget the VAT saving as well if you're on the standard VAT scheme) then go for it. I used a personal SIM in a company purchased phone for years before moving over to a Virgin business SIM.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
            I have looked into this and my conclusion is that if you get a contract it needs to be on the business.
            You can work around it by getting a pay as you go SIM, and loading it with monthly bundles paid by the company. This seems like an acceptable compromise from what I've read.

However, lately, there are a few established mobile phone websites that have business rates listed, which are much better than going direct to the big providers.
            The OP doesn’t want to claim the SIM as an expense. That’s how I read it anyway. So it’s really simple.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Just in case I was not clear.

I currently have an all you can eat data and minutes with Three for £20 on a rolling monthly plan in another phone This is paid for personally. I am a heavy data user.

The cheapest comparable business plan with unlimited data is a 12 month plan at £30 excluding VAT. This is more expensive than a personal plan both in cost and duration.

I am happy to put my personal sim in my yet to purchase shiny business iphone if it is ok from a company/hmrc point of view. if it is not them i will get rid of the personal plan and buy the the business plan

I hope that makes sense

ps i was not aware that the iphone xs max has 2 sims ?

Comment

That’s all fine then. New iPhone takes one physical SIM card and also has an esim. Esim is a virtual sim so you can have loads of contracts without swapping the SIM card. Modern iPad LTE has esim as does the watch and the surface LTE. You just need to find a carrier who’ll activate on it. Vodafone have just launched esim with the watch 4. EE have had it for a while.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM - Apple Support
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    The OP doesn’t want to claim the SIM as an expense. That’s how I read it anyway. So it’s really simple.
                    Apparently, mobile phone on business, with business not paying for the air time is a no-no.

Comment

Working...
                    X