Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone? Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning

    css_jay99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    638

    Default Personal Sim Only Plan in a Business phone?

    I am just about to replace my iphone purchased via the ltd co. 4 yrs ago.
    I will also be ditching the existing (business) sim only plan for a personal plan which will be paid personally.

    Can I use a personal plan in a business purchased mobile or the plan needs to be business as well? Will HMRC require that the plan also have to be a business contract?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    They don’t care. Good excuse for the new iPhone with dual sim though. Get a PAYG business sim and use the esim for personal use.
    See You Next Tuesday

  3. #3

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Can I use a personal plan in a business purchased mobile or the plan needs to be business as well? Will HMRC require that the plan also have to be a business contract?
    Thanks
    I have looked into this and my conclusion is that if you get a contract it needs to be on the business.
    You can work around it by getting a pay as you go SIM, and loading it with monthly bundles paid by the company. This seems like an acceptable compromise from what I've read.

    However, lately, there are a few established mobile phone websites that have business rates listed, which are much better than going direct to the big providers.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I am just about to replace my iphone purchased via the ltd co. 4 yrs ago.
    I will also be ditching the existing (business) sim only plan for a personal plan which will be paid personally.

    Can I use a personal plan in a business purchased mobile or the plan needs to be business as well? Will HMRC require that the plan also have to be a business contract?

    Thanks
    We've done phones a million times now but your detail is confusing.

    Why are you getting a personal sim? You are happy to pay for the sim personally to make work phone calls on the work phone.. or?
    Are you not using it for work hence the personal sim but you expect to use a company asset purely for personal calls?

    What exactly will you be doing? Get that clear and what you need to do should be pretty obvious. If it isn't there are 100's of threads on it here. I would have though someone with a 12 year old account and 600+ posts might have know how to research this better.

    mobile phone site:forums.contractoruk.com - Bing
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    It doesn't really matter, but you won't be able to claim the cost of the personal SIM through the business, only the handset (the handset invoice should really be in company name) and itemised business calls. If this works out cheaper than a business plan with the tax saving (don't forget the VAT saving as well if you're on the standard VAT scheme) then go for it. I used a personal SIM in a company purchased phone for years before moving over to a Virgin business SIM.

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zonkkk View Post
    I have looked into this and my conclusion is that if you get a contract it needs to be on the business.
    You can work around it by getting a pay as you go SIM, and loading it with monthly bundles paid by the company. This seems like an acceptable compromise from what I've read.

    However, lately, there are a few established mobile phone websites that have business rates listed, which are much better than going direct to the big providers.
    The OP doesn’t want to claim the SIM as an expense. That’s how I read it anyway. So it’s really simple.
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #7

    Fingers like lightning

    css_jay99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Just in case I was not clear.

    I currently have an all you can eat data and minutes with Three for £20 on a rolling monthly plan in another phone This is paid for personally. I am a heavy data user.

    The cheapest comparable business plan with unlimited data is a 12 month plan at £30 excluding VAT. This is more expensive than a personal plan both in cost and duration.

    I am happy to put my personal sim in my yet to purchase shiny business iphone if it is ok from a company/hmrc point of view. if it is not them i will get rid of the personal plan and buy the the business plan

    I hope that makes sense


    ps i was not aware that the iphone xs max has 2 sims ?

  8. #8

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    That’s all fine then. New iPhone takes one physical SIM card and also has an esim. Esim is a virtual sim so you can have loads of contracts without swapping the SIM card. Modern iPad LTE has esim as does the watch and the surface LTE. You just need to find a carrier who’ll activate on it. Vodafone have just launched esim with the watch 4. EE have had it for a while.
    See You Next Tuesday

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,972
    See You Next Tuesday

  10. #10

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    The OP doesn’t want to claim the SIM as an expense. That’s how I read it anyway. So it’s really simple.
    Apparently, mobile phone on business, with business not paying for the air time is a no-no.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •