• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant charges for Second Director Self-Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant charges for Second Director Self-Assessment

Hi,

I have Ltd company set up with my wife with a 75-25 split in shares in my favour around 10 years ago.

It can be said that I have stayed with my accountant for all this time when he has moved from one company to another and now he has his own company. The monthly charges have gone up in the meantime.

Historically, I have only had my own self assessment filed with HMRC but with change in dividend tax laws, it was suggested by the accountant and imperative that we filed the tax return for my wife too.

My accountant is now asking for extra charges. He advises that this service is not included in our historical agreement of list of services.

I have my doubts based on these 2 points (among others) that were offered and agreed when I took up his services at his first accountancy:

* Completion of the director(s) personal tax;

* Note at the end: The list is non-exhaustive, but basically anything you use during the course of your business. If you have any doubts, please ask.

Just need someone's advice on whether I should be paying this charge or not paying (which may lead to moving accountancy).

Originally posted by ksareen View Post

* Note at the end: The list is non-exhaustive, but basically anything you use during the course of your business. If you have any doubts, please ask.

Just need someone's advice on whether I should be paying this charge or not paying (which may lead to moving accountancy).
    Is your wife a director as well as shareholder?

Most of the other guys (including ourselves) on here include the directors returns and would make sense to include your wife in any case given she's a shareholder to ensure the figures stack up with your own.

Could go back to them and advise if it's not included then you'll be considering your options. Bit off that they're leaving it to this close to the filing deadline to let you know of any additional charges!

Comment

Originally posted by Dom at Fox Bartfield View Post
      Is your wife a director as well as shareholder?
      Hi Dom, Thanks for your reply.
      My wife is a Company Secretary and a 25% share-holder.

Could go back to them and advise if it's not included then you'll be considering your options.
      I've highlighted the historic agreement but the accountant is very keen for this payment. As this is the first time we are filing her personal tax return, I don't have any real history apart from what I have already advised.
      So I am yet to decide to pay and/or move to another accountancy.
      Last edited by ksareen; 22 November 2018, 09:24.

Comment

Hi,

I have Ltd company set up with my wife with a 75-25 split in shares in my favour around 10 years ago.

It can be said that I have stayed with my accountant for all this time when he has moved from one company to another and now he has his own company. The monthly charges have gone up in the meantime.

Historically, I have only had my own self assessment filed with HMRC but with change in dividend tax laws, it was suggested by the accountant and imperative that we filed the tax return for my wife too.

My accountant is now asking for extra charges. He advises that this service is not included in our historical agreement of list of services.

I have my doubts based on these 2 points (among others) that were offered and agreed when I took up his services at his first accountancy:

You obviously like and trust your accountant. Don't fall out over what I presume will be a small fee.

Its reasonable to charge for SA Returns, at the end of the day, they shouldn't be included in your company fee anyway, as it is a completely separate and personal matter.

Comment

you could do what I do.

Get my SA done by the accountant, and just use the information to complete Mrs. L's. The only difference being I use her P60 (from her FTE), and reduce the dividends accordingly. It's pretty straightforward like that.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

How much are we talking and how much to you pay him a month for their services? You can't expect him to honor an agreement you had with him 10 years ago when he was under a different firm. I'd go back to the most recent contract you have with him under the new company he's working from. If all your wife has is salary and divi's then it shouldn't be that difficult to complete this at HMRC online yourselves to save a few quid if you're reluctant to pay for it.

However, saying that, you'll probably find the majority of decent online accountant's here will usually throw it in FOC as part of their services if it's a basic tax return for the spouse.

Comment

Hi,

It is not unreasonable to charge a fee for a second tax return – many accountants that charge monthly throw in a ‘free’ return, which would otherwise be a personal (not company) expense. If your accountant agreed to do a second return free of charge when he was appointed then he should stand by his word – however, from what I can tell, you are citing the services from his first accountancy practice which, although the same person, is a different company and therefore a different agreement.

Your post history suggests that your accountant was Darren Upton back in 2011 – you’re now saying that you’ve been loyal to your accountant for 10+ years… If, somehow, it is still him and this is the first time you’ve had reason to call his integrity into question then you should consider yourself lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
                Your post history suggests that your accountant was Darren Upton back in 2011 – you’re now saying that you’ve been loyal to your accountant for 10+ years… If, somehow, it is still him and this is the first time you’ve had reason to call his integrity into question then you should consider yourself lucky.
                Chooo Chooo

Comment

... were offered and agreed when I took up his services at his first accountancy:

Are you paying BIK on this, assuming your company is paying the accountancy fees ??

Comment

Thanks for your replies folks.

How much are we talking and how much to you pay him a month for their services?
                    I pay monthly and the demand is to pay £72 to cover the wife's self-assessment.

There has been no new agreement so the historic agreement still stands (he agrees on this). Every time he moved, I was promised that nothing has changed w.r.t. services covered for monthly charge that I pay him.

Your post history suggests that your accountant was Darren Upton back in 2011
                    He was indeed working with Darren where he was looking after my accounts. Both of us jumped ship (to another company of his choice) before it got submerged but the services were the same (nothing changed for me).

Are you paying BIK on this, assuming your company is paying the accountancy fees ??
                    BIK - What does this mean (is it Benefit-in-kind!?)? Yes, my company pays the monthly accountancy fees.

If all your wife has is salary and divi's then it shouldn't be that difficult to complete this at HMRC online yourselves to save a few quid if you're reluctant to pay for it.
                    I think this is what I am going to do going forward. It cannot be that difficult as you say (and I hope)

Comment

Working...
                    X