• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 months clock reset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 months clock reset

Office 1 on the left, Office 2 on the right. 14 miles between them, different towns.
    Journey time and distance similar.

Moving from Office 1 to Office 2 after 24 months.

Would you start claiming expenses again?

Journey
    Last edited by zonkkk; 30 November 2018, 08:48.

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Office 1 on the left, Office 2 on the right. 14 miles between them, different towns.
    Journey time and distance similar.

Moving from Office 1 to Office 2 after 24 months.

Would you start claiming expenses again?
    You could start doing a bit of research before posting. It was pointed out to you in your SC thread that there is a very long SC clearance sticky running which would have answered your question. There happens to be an even longer 24 month rule thread that would answer this one.

We don't want to be constant going over old ground for questions that a few clicks in the right place will answer.

From the little information offered then not a chance will 14 miles with a similar journey reset the clock. Reading the guides will give you more information to think about when considering questions like this. Total journey, cost of journey and other elements. The one side of the bridge to the other example is one that springs to mind but TBH doesn't apply here. It's very difficult to make decisions for people when we don't know the full details.

Remember you have to stop claiming when you know you are going to exceed 24 months I,e the last renewal that will take you over 24. Not AT 24 months.

There happens to be a thread with 10 miles in the title that almost exactly mirrors this that is only 2 below yours.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...mile-rule.html

Your accountant is also a good resource for you to use a bit more.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 November 2018, 15:55.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You could start doing a bit of research before posting. It was pointed out to you in your SC thread that there is a very long SC clearance sticky running which would have answered your question. There happens to be an even longer 24 month rule thread that would answer this one.

We don't want to be constant going over old ground for questions that a few clicks in the right place will answer.

From the little information offered then not a chance will 14 miles with a similar journey reset the clock. Reading the guides will give you more information to think about when considering questions like this. Total journey, cost of journey and other elements. The one side of the bridge to the other example is one that springs to mind but TBH doesn't apply here. It's very difficult to make decisions for people when we don't know the full details.

Remember you have to stop claiming when you know you are going to exceed 24 months I,e the last renewal that will take you over 24. Not AT 24 months.

There happens to be a thread with 10 miles in the title that almost exactly mirrors this that is only 2 below yours.
      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...mile-rule.html

Your accountant is also a good resource for you to use a bit more.
      Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the rules.
      I was looking for subjective replies from fellow contractors based on an image that doesn't seem to have uploaded.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
        Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the rules.
        I was looking for subjective replies from fellow contractors based on an image that doesn't seem to have uploaded.
        You are aware of the rules.

Do you understand the rules?
        Last edited by MrButton; 29 November 2018, 16:18.

Comment

Odd. It works for me if I paste it directly in to a browser

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

That link seems to work.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 29 November 2018, 16:17.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Odd. It works for me if I paste it directly in to a browser

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

That link seems to work.
            It does work, I just can't see it in my original post. Thanks for putting it up here.

Comment

Read the sticky, that's why it's there. The first post is perfectly clear. It doesn't reset, ever. What happens is the new journey is not in scope, if it is sufficiently different. Yours, on the face of it, isn't.

And subjective views are pointless for such key issues, you want an objective one from those that do understand the rules

HTH. BIDI.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In my view since the distance and travel time haven't significantly changed, I would view it to be essentially the same location and therefore, the 24 months rule doesn't reset.

Comment

A tricky one as the journey cost has not changed significantly but I would say that 14 miles apart is not the same workplace so I would claim.

Look at EIM32280 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

And the links at the bottom.

You have not moved from Edinburgh to Cardiff but neither have you moved next door. Neither is this the tube station scenario.

I suspect the examples given are designed to leave plenty of doubt so people play it safe and say more tax. But 14 miles apart is not the same workplace IMO.

It is of course worth listening to your accountant but they may end up being risk averse to protect their own position. If you do decide not to claim, there is nothing to lose by running the scenario past HMRC but I would just claim it.

Comment

24 months clock reset

The image didn’t show because you had linked to the page, not the image. For an image to work, it needs to be a link to something ending with a valid image extension, e.g.

As for your question, the majority of your journey is heading in the same direction from your starting point.

Out of interest, you refer to them as Office 1 and Office 2 - are they the same company? If they are the same company, which office will you actually be working at?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X