• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE and contracting on top

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE and contracting on top

Hi,

I work full time at a PAYE job but I also do some contracting on the side through my own company (keeps me busy). I am into the 40% tax band with my PAYE job, and I have so far not taken any money from my business, partly because I don't really need to, and partly because I don't want to have to do payroll (I have no accountant, do it myself), and partly because I don't want to lose half of it in tax. Anyway, I was planning to stick most of it into my personal pension (SIPP) as an employer contribution, and leave just enough to declare a bit of profit, pay 19% CT on it and then take the rest as a dividend, which will be less than 2k so I don't have to rock the boat with HMRC. But I am a bit nervous about sticking a lot of money in the pension and then getting some weird tax interpretation followed by a large tax bill. Is there any problem with taking a pension contribution as remuneration when there is no associated salary? Everything I read suggests I should be ok but the risk is such that I thought it best to seek the wisdom of those who have gone before, so if you have any reassurances or cautions please let me know!

Cheers,
    pintofale.

Originally posted by pintofale View Post
    Hi,

I work full time at a PAYE job but I also do some contracting on the side through my own company (keeps me busy). I am into the 40% tax band with my PAYE job, and I have so far not taken any money from my business, partly because I don't really need to, and partly because I don't want to have to do payroll (I have no accountant, do it myself), and partly because I don't want to lose half of it in tax. Anyway, I was planning to stick most of it into my personal pension (SIPP) as an employer contribution, and leave just enough to declare a bit of profit, pay 19% CT on it and then take the rest as a dividend, which will be less than 2k so I don't have to rock the boat with HMRC. But I am a bit nervous about sticking a lot of money in the pension and then getting some weird tax interpretation followed by a large tax bill. Is there any problem with taking a pension contribution as remuneration when there is no associated salary? Everything I read suggests I should be ok but the risk is such that I thought it best to seek the wisdom of those who have gone before, so if you have any reassurances or cautions please let me know!

Cheers,
    pintofale.
    You can make employer pension contributions from your company, there are no limits as long as the pension contributions are ‘wholly and exclusively’ for the purpose of the trade.

Comment

How much are we talking here?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How much are we talking here?
        One millionnnn dollars!!

Your company can contribute up to £40k without there being any tax issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          One millionnnn dollars!!

Your company can contribute up to £40k without there being any tax issues.
          I know that. Just checking the OP does.

Comment

I know that. Just checking the OP does.
            I knew you knew that.

I should have actually said "btw to the OP, your company can contribute up to £40k without there being any tax issues." Couldn't be bothered to go through the edit process. In actual fact, it's probably taken me longer to reply this way. Ah well. It's Friday. Clare needs a cuppa...gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
              Clare needs a cuppa...gotta go!
              Good to see everything is still in order over there

Comment

Good to see everything is still in order over there

Comment

Working...
                X