• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mandatory security meeting request on behalf of client - advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory security meeting request on behalf of client - advice please

I work 100% from home about an hour away from a UK client, on a government project for another EU nation. I've received this email (redacted where needed):

<customer> and the security police will be in <location> on <2 day period> to perform a security audit. As part of the audit they will be conducting a security briefing. Attendance is mandatory for everyone working on <project>, so it would be very helpful if you could ensure that you are available on both days. It’s likely that the briefing will be on the first day, but we’ve no details as yet.
    I definitely work on the project but as a contractor I'm unsure where I stand and how I should respond - even if I were on site - to make sure this is handled correctly given my B2B contract direct with the client. My client is only ~20 people and not really au fait with contractor Vs employee and I've no idea if the end customer knows or cares since I've not heard anything directly from them.

In pure logistics, I only work a handful of hours a month for this client so committing to two days on site is a PITA and I haven't pointed out obviously I'd be billing for that.

Beyond that, what should I be asking? I don't really like to be a pain and get all "oh but I'm a contractor" but given this seems a very formal process, surely I should make sure proper channels are observed? Or if the end customer simply says "anyone who works on our project has to attend" does the whole employee Vs contractor debate not matter?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

It's a security audit, not an employement review or an IR35 assessment. Fail it and you're out of a job and out of clearance.I suggest you just cooperate.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I work 100% from home about an hour away from a UK client, on a government project for another EU nation. I've received this email (redacted where needed):

I definitely work on the project but as a contractor I'm unsure where I stand and how I should respond - even if I were on site - to make sure this is handled correctly given my B2B contract direct with the client. My client is only ~20 people and not really au fait with contractor Vs employee and I've no idea if the end customer knows or cares since I've not heard anything directly from them.

In pure logistics, I only work a handful of hours a month for this client so committing to two days on site is a PITA and I haven't pointed out obviously I'd be billing for that.

Beyond that, what should I be asking? I don't really like to be a pain and get all "oh but I'm a contractor" but given this seems a very formal process, surely I should make sure proper channels are observed? Or if the end customer simply says "anyone who works on our project has to attend" does the whole employee Vs contractor debate not matter?

Thanks.
      If this is aimed at everyone, including contractors, subbies, 3rd party site staff etc. then there is no reason not to do it. It sounds like this would fall under National Security being a Govt. client so I'd just get on with it, it's no different to working for a client that supplies a laptop for you for security reasons.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You don’t mention IR35 explicitly, but I wouldn’t worry from that angle. Mandatory security briefings don’t discriminate; they are required by everyone. However, I would worry about the time spent (two days seems completely excessive, and they’re not clear about whether it’s only one of those two days) and ensuring that you get paid for both the time spent and for the time put aside (unless they inform you in good time about the actual date/time).

Comment

You need to discuss it with the client as it sounds like they have a responsibility to ensure all their project 'staff' attend at the customer's wishes or risk blowback.

The customer is not interested in your status as permie or contractor, you are just someone under responsibility of the client.

Check with client if it is indeed mandatory and if so that they are happy to cover the expenses seeing as you have negotiated a 100% WFH deal with them so rare situations like this should be covered as exceptional expenses the client is willing to swallow to keep the customer happy.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

They're asking, not telling.

Don't go in - that which they can't see, they can't fail you on.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              They're asking, not telling.

Don't go in - that which they can't see, they can't fail you on.
              It's not a test. He is being asked to attend for the security briefing portion. I'm failure to attend may result in exclusion from the project and termination of the contract.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                It's not a test. He is being asked to attend for the security briefing portion. I'm failure to attend may result in exclusion from the project and termination of the contract.
                ...and loss of any existing clearance. Not attending security related meetings will result in clearance being either suspended or withdrawn. Would you "trust" a person who will not cooperate in a mandated process?

As has been said, you should get clarity on the additional costs involved and their payment, but I can't see any basis for you not being paid your usual rate since it is clearly work-related.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Why is it some contractors think they are above client security and H&S? Just think of it from the client perspective and try understand their obligations. What you should and shouldn't do will become a lot clearer.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On second read, as you do this 100% from home maybe you could make the ultimate sacrifice and go into the client's office for 2 days
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X