• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Tax Digital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have an accountant BB?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      If you are correct then you are probably better off on the FRS.

But most here are IT contractors where it seems almost impossible to not be a LCT.
      In order to qualify for the FRS and not be a limited cost trader, the amount spend on relevant goods (see point 4.6 here) needs to exceed the higher of 2% of turnover or £250 per quarter. If it doesn't, then you are deemed to be a limited cost trader and must apply a rate of 16.5% to your FRS turnover (assuming 1% discount expired).

If Bluebird does qualify to use the 14.5% rate, then the point at which it is no longer worth being on the FRS is when taxable expenses (i.e. where input VAT can be reclaimed, and not just 'relevant goods') exceed 13% of turnover (the 13% figure is only for the 14.5% FRS rate).

In my experience, this applies to very few IT contractors, as the cost base of these businesses does not often include many relevant goods. There will always be exceptions to this though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        With the introduction of the above - does anyone know of any products that are free?

At the moment I do all the accounts myself on excel, but from March will need to use a tool to submit - unless I stay under the 85k turnover threshold.

Thanks BB
        You will unlikely find free software for MTD. Your alternative is to pay for bridging software if you would like to continue using your spreadsheet. MTD is likely to extend to other taxes in the future so yo may wish to look at transferring to cloud software such as FreeAgent.

Comment

No, not limited cost trader.
          are you sure?????

There's not many things that count to making you not a LCT.
          Accountancy fees, expenses (hotels, travel, food), computers (other than for resale), rent, anything bought purely for the purposes of getting you out of the LCT bracket; are all not counted.

All you're left with is stationery, stock, and sub-contractors (there are other but not IT items). Pretty much unless you sell computers or use subbies then you're an LCT.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for all the responses on this.

I've checked and you are correct I do fall into the LCT bucket.

That being the case, is the following true:

I invoice £5k + vat of £1k = £6k invoice.

FRS is 16.5% of 6k = £990 giving me a benefit of £10.

If I have VAT reciepts of £100, I can ofset this against the £1000 vat bill meaning I only pay £900 outside of the FRS?

BB
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Thanks for all the responses on this.

I've checked and you are correct I do fall into the LCT bucket.

That being the case, is the following true:

I invoice £5k + vat of £1k = £6k invoice.

FRS is 16.5% of 6k = £990 giving me a benefit of £10.

If I have VAT reciepts of £100, I can ofset this against the £1000 vat bill meaning I only pay £900 outside of the FRS?

BB

Correct - assuming that by VAT receipts, you mean the total amount of VAT on the receipt and not the total amount from the receipt.

In most cases you are better off not using the FRS past year 1 (where you get a discount) when you fall into the limited cost trader category.
              Last edited by Alchemy Accountancy; 7 January 2019, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
                Correct - assuming that by VAT receipts, you mean the total amount of VAT on the receipt.

In most cases you are better off not using the FRS past year 1 (where you get a discount) when you fall into the limited cost trader category.
                Is there any fixing needs doing to account for the VAT properly before he found out he was LCT?

Maybe it's time the OP got an accountant?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Is there any fixing needs doing to account for the VAT properly before he found out he was LCT?

Maybe it's time the OP got an accountant?
                  Yes, the OP will need to go back and adjust any returns that have been completed since 1st April 2017 to ensure that the correct amount of VAT has been paid under the LCT rules.

I would also suggest, as other have done, that the OP finds an accountant that works with FreeAgent so that they are compliant with MTD after April this year (an accountant will also be able to prepare the VAT adjustment for HMRC).

Comment

Wow. You’ve been on FRS for 10 years....

LCT has been in place since Apr 2017. I’d suggest you get an accountant. Now. As if your on a decent rate I assume you got a whack to repay?!?

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
                      Wow. You’ve been on FRS for 10 years....

LCT has been in place since Apr 2017. I’d suggest you get an accountant. Now. As if your on a decent rate I assume you got a whack to repay?!?

I'll need to work it out first - but yes there will be a re-payment.

I keep all receipts anyway.

Do I need to advise HMRC I'm leaving the FRS, or just account differently?

BB
                      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
                      X