• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Tax Digital

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I needed a new account that would be good but I've had a business account for 13 years. Looking at the site looks like it will cost about £200 pa which is higher than I hoped. Certainly don't need things like corp tax forecasting (?!) or tax filing. Are there any packages - just for VAT - cheaper ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I believe you get it free with a bank account. Natwest is it? Lots of good accountants offer it free as part of the packages as well so effectively free.
      Yes, you get a free subscription with both RBS and Natwest (same ownership).

As NLUK suggests, a lot of accountants will include it in their package, and, as has already been proven in this thread, using an accountant is a better way of getting things right first time (and often cheaper than having to go back and fix it later on).

Comment

I don't need an accountant as I am one, and have successfully traded for many years this way. What I don't want is to have to spend £1500 or whatever on accountant service that I don't need just to facilitate a VAT software switch. Hence looking for a cheap software solution.

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
          I don't need an accountant as I am one, and have successfully traded for many years this way. What I don't want is to have to spend £1500 or whatever on accountant service that I don't need just to facilitate a VAT software switch. Hence looking for a cheap software solution.
          One of the other accountants that has posted on here suggested bridging software for this - that would certainly cheaper than a full bookkeeping software, and would allow you to continue as you are (until the scope of MTD is extended at least).

I haven't used any bridging software (I doubt many will have done yet) so can't make a recommendation as such. However I know that TaxCalc have released some bridging software - I use their software for tax and accounts production and rate it highly so would start there.

You will find a full list of MTD compliant softwares here, some may be cheaper if price is the motivator.

Comment

I'd like to add that you don't need to submit under MTD until at least June 2019. Bare in mind that registration with HMRC takes 3 days, although they are bound to get backlogged nearer the time.

If you want a really simple way to submit a VAT return and comply with MTD, search for VAT MTD on the Apple App Store as we made a small/simple product for individuals that want basic submission on a Mac, iPhone or iPad.

Comment

Working...
            X