• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First year trading, late accountant appointment question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First year trading, late accountant appointment question

Hi,

My ltd. company was incorporated in march 2018 and at the time I engaged with a local accountant who I planned on using to submit my accounts. Cut a long story short since then they've done virtually nothing and I am left in a bit of a pickle.

If I understand correctly the first years accounts will be due end of march 19. Is it possible to appoint an account at this stage to submit these accounts? There's no payroll and I just plan on paying out a end of year dividend. I've not touched any of the cash in the account so I would like to think they wouldn't be too complicated to put together however being new to this I could be wrong.

I've been looking into some online based accountants such as gorilla - would they be prepared to have a look at this do you think?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Pale Ale View Post
    Hi,

My ltd. company was incorporated in march 2018 and at the time I engaged with a local accountant who I planned on using to submit my accounts. Cut a long story short since then they've done virtually nothing and I am left in a bit of a pickle.

If I understand correctly the first years accounts will be due end of march 19. Is it possible to appoint an account at this stage to submit these accounts? There's no payroll and I just plan on paying out a end of year dividend. I've not touched any of the cash in the account so I would like to think they wouldn't be too complicated to put together however being new to this I could be wrong.

I've been looking into some online based accountants such as gorilla - would they be prepared to have a look at this do you think?

Phone 'em up and ask them? They probably will need to charge you a 'catch up fee' for the first year, but may waive that for a long term relationship.

Comment

Hi,

I dare say that any of the accountants that contribute to these forums would be more than happy to have a look at this for you.

Perhaps give a couple of them a call, and see what they can offer.

Comment

Thanks, encouraging to hear I may not have hit a brick wall. I will make some enquiries tomorrow and feedback here.

Comment

Hi,

Have your current accountants kept on top of VAT? If so, you should be able to work it out. If not, this is now critical.

Comment

If you incorporated in March 2018 then you have quite a bit longer than you think.
            The end of year may well be end March 2019 but you have months to complete the return.

VAT on the other hand is a different story if you are registered for quarterly returns.

It could well be that the accountant appears to not be doing much as there's not much to do yet.

I'd recommend Gorilla. I can let you have a referral code if you wish?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              I'd recommend Gorilla. I can let you have a referral code if you wish?
              What benefit does that give to OP?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                What benefit does that give to OP?

Comment

Yes. Don't panic. You are not in as bad a situation as you fear. Accounts don't need to be submitted to Companies House until 21 months after you have incorporated.

Your corporation tax will become due 9 months after your year end. However the treatment for this may be a little different in your first year.

Comment

No need to panic just yet. You've got plenty of time as your company year end hasn't come around yet. At a rough conservative guess (without knowing the specifics), you're looking at filing your accounts at Companies House by December with any corporation tax the company has to pay to HMRC, also by December.

Some accountants here may pick up the catch up work to date for new extra fee as your year end has happened yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X