• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on using coffee shop as a casual workspace.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    And if the coffee shop kicks you out after 1 hour when all you bought was a single coffee, while you're in the middle of an important conference call?
    ...or they refuse to serve you because you take up a table for 4 people for 6 hours when they are busy?
    It depends on the shop but places like Starbucks are usually pretty chilled about people working in there. Pro-tip: get a bre coffee and you can get free refills!

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
      Sorry to be pedantic here...but what you actually need to do is divide it out by 1 minus the rate of tax (expressed as a decimal) - I'm sure there will be a proper mathematical term for this..
      Yeah, you're right.

The proper term (non-mathematical) is 'lazy' (that's me, for not making sure I had it precisely right) and 'nerd' (both of us) and 'clueless but accurate accountant' (that's you, for focusing on the numbers and ignoring the huge issue that he's not going to be doing admin in a coffee shop 230 days a year ).

But anyway, thanks for correcting me, I deserved it for being both pedantic and wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        plus the VAT
        If you buy enough coffee you won't have to be a low cost trader and can make profit on flat rate VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          If you buy enough coffee you won't have to be a low cost trader and can make profit on flat rate VAT.
          How did none of us think of this workaround when they introduced the low cost trader rules?

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
            Regarding commentary about the amounts being miniscule. I think it is a good practice to include even the simplest of business expenses. I say this because when I go shopping online for example and go click happy and add a bunch of items to my cart thinking.. Oh that's only £2 pounds and so forth. By the time I click checkout the overall cart value is quite high.
            I agree and do the same, but this is no 'simplest of business expense.' It's the kind of thing that could convince HMRC that you are just taking the mick and make them decide to put you through the wringer to see what else you've been up to. And maybe even decide if you are pushing the limits on this you might be pushing the limits on IR35, too.

If someone has the power to make my life hell, I don't want to trigger them. I don't mind at all having them say, 'Man, this guy even expenses envelopes' -- envelopes hardly cost anything but they are legit business expenses. But I don't want them saying, 'This chancer tried to put his morning coffee down at his local Starbucks through his company. Where else is he cheating?'

It's a risk/reward question. I think the risk here is significant and the reward small. I wouldn't do it. Sounds like your risk tolerance is higher than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              How did none of us think of this workaround when they introduced the low cost trader rules?
              Think what it could have done for your digestive system, too.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                It would never get past HMRC. You need a third party coffee shop / office space broker (BrokerCo) that pays for the coffees and then invoices out the desk space to YourCo. It could be done via a prepayment card which YourCo buys from BrokerCo but which remains in BrokerCo's name. Luncheon Vouchers 2.0.

Comment

Working...
                X