• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling services to the UK via foreign company (Hong Kong)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling services to the UK via foreign company (Hong Kong)

Now that i barely spend any time in the UK and serve clients entirely remotely i am looking to get off the UK tax regime.

My idea is to set up a company in HK (no corp tax on foreign income) shutting down my UK one and gaining residency in a country that does not tax foreign personal income (numerous options). My current client has indicated they are willing to make the switch to a HK based company.

First of all, I was rather hoping this forum might be so kind as to sanity check the idea.

Also will i be liable to charge/pay UK VAT? I'm struggling to figure out where place of supply would be.

Any other ways they could do me?

TIA

Not sure the answer to your question but just thinking out of the box.. This one client might be OK with that, a little surprising but not unheard off, but what about future/new clients. I very much doubt they many will be too pleased with that set up. Isn't it possibly short sighted to set up a structure that generally won't work for your clients?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Basically money earned in the UK is taxed in the UK; that's where some of the earlier schemes came unstuck. And selling services, as opposed to goods, makes that much more difficult to circumvent.

I suppose your idea is possible, but you will need some serious expert opinion
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Not sure the answer to your question but just thinking out of the box.. This one client might be OK with that, a little surprising but not unheard off, but what about future/new clients. I very much doubt they many will be too pleased with that set up. Isn't it possibly short sighted to set up a structure that generally won't work for your clients?
        No agency will touch a setup like that. Too much exposure for them if it turns out to be questionable to HMRC.

You're right in that it might work for a few known clients.

It's something the OP might consider towards the end of a career, or entering semi-retirement. Anything else would be short-sighted IMO.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Oh yeah it would be mostly riding on my current client, but it would pay off very quickly so i'm not too concerned about that. It's a worthwhile risk, if it can work. Worst case you might be 5k down and have to had done a lot of paperwork for nothing. Best case you're 100k+ up after a few years.
          Last edited by Robinho; 8 January 2019, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
            Oh yeah it would be mostly riding on my current client, but it would pay off very quickly so i'm not too concerned about that. It's a worthwhile risk, if it can work. Worst case you might be 5k down and have to had done a lot of paperwork for nothing. Best case you're 100k+ up after a few years.
            Then you need to

* find out the requirements for the new jurisdiction, and see how it works
            * remove yourself from the UK tax regime
            * find out what happens about medical insurance ( presumably no reciprocal health agreement with the UK will be in place)
            * UK state pension and how affected (should you still voluntarily pay some NICs for that?)
            * if you ever do come back how do you repatriate the money?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Then you need to

* find out the requirements for the new jurisdiction, and see how it works
              * remove yourself from the UK tax regime
              * find out what happens about medical insurance ( presumably no reciprocal health agreement with the UK will be in place)
              * UK state pension and how affected (should you still voluntarily pay some NICs for that?)
              * if you ever do come back how do you repatriate the money?
              I know, that's why i logged on to the ContractorUK forum - get people to do the donkey work for me.

Comment

I know, that's why i logged on to the ContractorUK forum - get people to do the donkey work for me.
                A donkey is half way to a mule, and so is likely to be too stubborn to read something this long. So I'll give you the link but you are then on your own.
                Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A) - GOV.UK

Comment

Ok so it looks like i will have to charge VAT, which is no biggie although a slightly annoying overhead. Shovelling money to a HK account only to shovel it back to HMRC. There is also no exemption threshold for foreign businesses.

The next question is whether i will be liable for UK corporation tax.

Comment

Ok so it looks like i will have to charge VAT, which is no biggie although a slightly annoying overhead. Shovelling money to a HK account only to shovel it back to HMRC. There is also no exemption threshold for foreign businesses.

The next question is whether i will be liable for UK corporation tax.
                    Yes
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X