• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relevant Life Insurance - Dormant Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relevant Life Insurance - Dormant Company

Hi,

I am considering making my company dormant as I am taking up a permie position.

However I had a Relevant Life policy premium being paid off from my Business account. Can I still continue to pay this if I make the company dormant? Or would I have to convert it to a personal policy?

Thank you

I’m pretty sure to be actually dormant there needs to be no transactions in or out. Which is why PSC are very rarely officially made dormant. They just stop trading for a bit.

But an accountant will be along shortly to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      I’m pretty sure to be actually dormant there needs to be no transactions in or out. Which is why PSC are very rarely officially made dormant. They just stop trading for a bit.

That's right. It's terminology really. A dormant company is one that has never traded (usually people who set up a company to bag a name or a contract falls through before anything happens). What it sounds like here is that the company is simply put on hold (not trading). To answer the OP, it should be fine to claim the cost.

Comment

Thank you.

Isnt dormant and not trading the same? I have read dormancy means no transactions apart from accountancy or bank fees.

Is that normally be the case? Can I take dividend from the money in the company?

With regards to my original question - Does that mean I need to convert my RLP to a personal plan?

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
          Isnt dormant and not trading the same?
          Dormant companies and associations - GOV.UK

Might start with understanding exactly what a dormant company is.

Comment

Dormant

Originally posted by MrButton View Post

Yep, spot on

Comment

Working...
            X