• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividing the risks between director and shareholder?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is highly unusual and in terms of risk and reward makes no sense.

You would be better off just taking a loan from your mentor and running your own company.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by peternamnguyen View Post
      Hi,

I’m planning to open an LTD company. An old mentor of mine, who is very experienced, wants to have 100% shares of the company initially. It means he wants to make all the decisions in the first year. Then his share will go down 10% each year (transferring to me) until it reaches 50% in the 5th year. The reason for this dominance is that he is very experienced while I’m not and he wants to show me the way a company should work.

I will then receive a fixed salary monthly. My salary comes from my mentor’s account: he will pay for me by his own money.

My thinking: what if after some months my mentor sees no future in the company and decides to run away, how do I survive? Should I ask him to deposit a 6-month or 1-year amount of my salary into the company’s account, then I’ll withdrawn from it every month?

In that case, I’ll be on a very safe side: receiving monthly salary for sure although I may not find any contract. And my mentors runs the risk of losing all shares if I screw up.

In short, my mentor has money and skills but he’s very old. I have the ability to execute but no money. I also have a family to take care of.

My mentor is also very persistent in having a lot of power over the company.

What should be the optimum option to divide the risks in my case?

Thanks a lot !
      What do you need the mentor for? What's his role (other than shafting you)?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Don't understand this one at all.

What is the purpose of the LtdCo if not for contracting? Are you selling a product or some other sort of service based on multiple clients whereby he is, or has to be the face of the company?

Otherwise, if you're contracting, your accountant will show you how to run the company. And hopefully, s/he won't run away. Or die!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          I think you ought to put this disclaimer at the start of every post you make... Or maybe in your sig so the reader can asses the quality of your post
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I think
            That would be a first.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              I think you ought to put this disclaimer at the start of every post you make... Or maybe in your sig so the reader can asses the quality of your post
              Ahem. I don't understand what the OP is on about either, and I hope you don't, either. Because based on what he said I'll be amazed if anyone understands....

Comment

Looks like we'll never know. Another one post wonder sadly.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless his mentor changes his mind, and decides to let him come back on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by peternamnguyen View Post
                    Hi,

I’m planning to open an LTD company. An old mentor of mine, who is very experienced, wants to have 100% shares of the company initially. It means he wants to make all the decisions in the first year. Then his share will go down 10% each year (transferring to me) until it reaches 50% in the 5th year. The reason for this dominance is that he is very experienced while I’m not and he wants to show me the way a company should work.
                    This mentor is not your friend. In fact I am assuming he actually doesn't like you at all, and is taking advantage of you totally and completely.

There is no risk to him. He cannot lose his shares. He cannot lose his money. He only stands to gain, while you aren't even standing.

Get away from him.

Comment

TBH, it was on the cards from the start.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X