• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment loss impact on Corp tax and VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment loss impact on Corp tax and VAT

Hello,

I made a bad investment (crypto - no smirking please) last year via my limited and have now cashed out at a loss of £20k. Please could someone advise whether this will have an impact on Corp and VAT tax for the company?

Thanks in advance
    Bb

Originally posted by 94bb View Post
    Hello,

I made a bad investment (crypto - no smirking please) last year via my limited and have now cashed out at a loss of £20k. Please could someone advise whether this will have an impact on Corp and VAT tax for the company?

Thanks in advance
    Bb
    I think you need to understand the basics of how a company works.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well yes, clearly the OP does. However, briefly:

1. VAT has nothing to do with it. Why do you think it does?

2. CT is charged on profits. If you've made a loss then yes, it will have an impact on the CT due.

3. Be careful YourCo doesn't get reclassified as an investment vehicle: always possible if your speculating with its money. If it does, your tax position will be a whole lot worse.

4. What else don't you know?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Hope he doesn't mean he has no money to pay his vat, or think that somehow he doesn't have to pay some part of the vat due to his losses
        Last edited by jmo21; 19 January 2019, 20:59.

Comment

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            Checked the obvious, but nothing so far. Watching...
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi - thanks for your response. I was informed by someone else that the loss can only be used to offset profits made against profits for another investment, and therefore can not be used to decrease Corp tax eg if I made a profit of £30k, only £10k would be eligible for CGT

This investment was around 10% of revenues, so I’m not aware of a reclassification of SIC code, given the proportion. Have you come across any texts that could help the case for your point 2 below? I have enough funds to cover all my liabilities, I was just enquiring whether the crypto trade loss would reduce them.

For point 1 below, I came across the electric car incentive and one of them was being ‘tax deductible’, if purchasing the car for business purposes, I assumed (possibly incorrectly) if the car was £50k, you can claim back £10k in VAT. Applying the same principle of a tax deductible asset purchase to a trading loss led to my conclusion.

2. CT is charged on profits. If you've made a loss then yes, it will have an impact on the CT due.

3. Be careful YourCo doesn't get reclassified as an investment vehicle: always possible if your speculating with its money. If it does, your tax position will be a whole lot worse.

4. What else don't you know?

Comment

Do you have an accountant?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Do you have an accountant?
                  I rather hope not....

OP - we can't answer, we don't know enough. But if you're working on the belief that: having a Mickey Mouse company creates a magic money tree, you're in the wrong job.

Get professional advice.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Would appreciate your insights on my first paragraph, ie investment loss can only be offset against an investment gain, and not corporation tax. The professional advice I have sought from two accountants: one agrees with the above, and the other conflicts stating I can offset against Corp tax. I’m now left confused, hence my post.

I rather hope not....

OP - we can't answer, we don't know enough. But if you're working on the belief that: having a Mickey Mouse company creates a magic money tree, you're in the wrong job.

Get professional advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X