Investment loss impact on Corp tax and VAT Investment loss impact on Corp tax and VAT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    15

    Unhappy Investment loss impact on Corp tax and VAT

    Hello,

    I made a bad investment (crypto - no smirking please) last year via my limited and have now cashed out at a loss of £20k. Please could someone advise whether this will have an impact on Corp and VAT tax for the company?

    Thanks in advance
    Bb

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94bb View Post
    Hello,

    I made a bad investment (crypto - no smirking please) last year via my limited and have now cashed out at a loss of £20k. Please could someone advise whether this will have an impact on Corp and VAT tax for the company?

    Thanks in advance
    Bb
    I think you need to understand the basics of how a company works.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Well yes, clearly the OP does. However, briefly:

    1. VAT has nothing to do with it. Why do you think it does?

    2. CT is charged on profits. If you've made a loss then yes, it will have an impact on the CT due.

    3. Be careful YourCo doesn't get reclassified as an investment vehicle: always possible if your speculating with its money. If it does, your tax position will be a whole lot worse.

    4. What else don't you know?
    Blog? What blog...?

  4. #4

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Well yes, clearly the OP does. However, briefly:

    1. VAT has nothing to do with it. Why do you think it does?
    Hope he doesn't mean he has no money to pay his vat, or think that somehow he doesn't have to pay some part of the vat due to his losses
    Last edited by jmo21; 19th January 2019 at 20:59.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    2...
    See You Next Tuesday

  6. #6

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    21,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    2...
    Checked the obvious, but nothing so far. Watching...
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hi - thanks for your response. I was informed by someone else that the loss can only be used to offset profits made against profits for another investment, and therefore can not be used to decrease Corp tax eg if I made a profit of £30k, only £10k would be eligible for CGT

    This investment was around 10% of revenues, so I’m not aware of a reclassification of SIC code, given the proportion. Have you come across any texts that could help the case for your point 2 below? I have enough funds to cover all my liabilities, I was just enquiring whether the crypto trade loss would reduce them.

    For point 1 below, I came across the electric car incentive and one of them was being ‘tax deductible’, if purchasing the car for business purposes, I assumed (possibly incorrectly) if the car was £50k, you can claim back £10k in VAT. Applying the same principle of a tax deductible asset purchase to a trading loss led to my conclusion.


    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Well yes, clearly the OP does. However, briefly:

    1. VAT has nothing to do with it. Why do you think it does?

    2. CT is charged on profits. If you've made a loss then yes, it will have an impact on the CT due.

    3. Be careful YourCo doesn't get reclassified as an investment vehicle: always possible if your speculating with its money. If it does, your tax position will be a whole lot worse.

    4. What else don't you know?

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,682

    Default

    Do you have an accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Do you have an accountant?
    I rather hope not....

    OP - we can't answer, we don't know enough. But if you're working on the belief that: having a Mickey Mouse company creates a magic money tree, you're in the wrong job.

    Get professional advice.
    Blog? What blog...?

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Would appreciate your insights on my first paragraph, ie investment loss can only be offset against an investment gain, and not corporation tax. The professional advice I have sought from two accountants: one agrees with the above, and the other conflicts stating I can offset against Corp tax. I’m now left confused, hence my post.

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    I rather hope not....

    OP - we can't answer, we don't know enough. But if you're working on the belief that: having a Mickey Mouse company creates a magic money tree, you're in the wrong job.

    Get professional advice.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •