• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax liability insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax liability insurance

Anyone taking tax liability insurance (to cover for HMRC enquiries etc)
    I always make sure all my taxes are OK and my contract reviewed and outside IR35, but as you know no guarantees...
    I used to take a reasonable cover like for 50K, but was advised to increase the cover substantially by my insurer and that would cost double... just wondered if others are taking such insurance? And up to how much of your yearly income do you cover? i.e. 100% or less?

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    was advised to increase the cover substantially by my insurer
    You see the problem here don't you?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      You see the problem here don't you?
      Yes, but wondered if others get a cover to cover all their turn over or proportion of it?
      I was getting a cover for 50% of my annual turn over, but not sure if this is sufficient.

Comment

I always make sure all my taxes are OK and my contract reviewed and outside IR35, but as you know no guarantees...
        I used to take a reasonable cover like for 50K, but was advised to increase the cover substantially by my insurer and that would cost double... just wondered if others are taking such insurance? And up to how much of your yearly income do you cover? i.e. 100% or less?
        Sandy

I have IPSE+ Cover, as well as TLC35 from QDOS (at a level that I can live with - it is not as expensive as losing the billable days, in the event of taking time out!).
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Yes, but wondered if others get a cover to cover all their turn over or proportion of it?
          Why would you cover all your turnover? Your tax liability will be smaller than turnover.

You may want to cover you tax liability completely, but IMO if you do that you have accepted that you'd lose if investigated so you could consider paying your tax in full instead of risking it an insuring against it.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Why would you cover all your turnover? Your tax liability will be smaller than turnover.

You may want to cover you tax liability completely, but IMO if you do that you have accepted that you'd lose if investigated so you could consider paying your tax in full instead of risking it an insuring against it.
            I chose to cover a bit more than my tax liability alone (in case one is charged interest) but not completely cover my turnover... so middle ground...

I found other places doing it cheaper, but they cover for 4 years only instead of 6 years...

Comment

Why on Earth would you do that? Pay (eg) £20,000 extra tax instead of a £500 insurance policy that will cover it? Are you insane?

Comment

Abbey Tax are offering this now through general accountants, so you don't have to join an organisation to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  Why on Earth would you do that? Pay (eg) £20,000 extra tax instead of a £500 insurance policy that will cover it? Are you insane?
                  Because if you know you'd lose you know you're doing it dodgily.
                  The OP seems to be wanting insurance to cover the certain losses of an investigation.

IMO that is fraud/evasion/GAAR.

The insurance is there to cover the risk of losing a tribunal, not the risk of an investigation (there are cheaper ways to cover that).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Because if you know you'd lose you know you're doing it dodgily.
                    The OP seems to be wanting insurance to cover the certain losses of an investigation.

IMO that is fraud/evasion/GAAR.
                    IMO that is exactly what TLC35 is covering - why else get TLC35 rather than just tax enquiry insurance?

TLC35 is a comprehensive IR35 insurance policy designed with the threat of IR35 in mind. This tax liability insurance policy will protect you in the event of HMRC opening an enquiry into your accounts, whether it is a PAYE compliance review, VAT dispute, IR35 enquiry or a broad range of other HMRC enquiry, Qdos will be there from day one to defend you.

In addition to this invaluable support, the policy will also cover any tax/NIC liabilities, interest and penalties should you be found ‘caught’ by the IR35 legislation up to the indemnity on your policy schedule.

Comment

Working...
                    X