• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using home as office expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using home as office expense

As I work part of my contract from home, my accountant has advised me that I can claim 83 quid a month worth of expenses for using my home as an office. Does this sound reasonable? I am starting to question the things my accountant have told me since they have given dodgy advise before and I am in the process of switching. It's coming up to the point in the month now when I am going to be paying myself for expenses and I am starting to wonder if this is a legitimate expense.

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    As I work part of my contract from home, my accountant has advised me that I can claim 83 quid a month worth of expenses for using my home as an office. Does this sound reasonable? I am starting to question the things my accountant have told me since they have given dodgy advise before and I am in the process of switching. It's coming up to the point in the month now when I am going to be paying myself for expenses and I am starting to wonder if this is a legitimate expense.
    Dodgy what?

You can claim £4 a week.

Claim tax relief for your job expenses: Working at home - GOV.UK
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      This link is tax relief for employees

Comment

Should there be one of directors? Would that help?

You are still claiming it for your company whatever your title.

Comment

Should there be one of directors? Would that help?

You are still claiming it for your company whatever your title.
          There should be one for a company surely? If I rent office space - I would expect to be able to expense that.

Comment

There should be one for a company surely? If I rent office space - I would expect to be able to expense that.
            But you aren't renting it. That would require an official document to be drawn up. Easiest way is just to pay the HMRC guidance rates.

Comment

Here you go. Couple of seconds on Google got this.

Contractors’ Questions: How much to claim for my home-based office?

Comment

Here you go. Couple of seconds on Google got this.

Contractors’ Questions: How much to claim for my home-based office?
                So not £4 a week then? Thank you

Comment

So not £4 a week then? Thank you
                  Generally yes £4 per week.

On the other hand, if in all honesty you rarely or in effect hardly ever use your home-office, then we recommend that you err on the side of caution and stick to £4 p. w.
                  Which is the advice and direction a vast majority of contractors take. Whatever you think otherwise its still peanuts so just revert back to the nice easy way.

Comment

And it also applies to company directors.

You can claim £83/month if you have evidence to support your claim that you are incurring £83 of *additional* costs per month.

Alternatively you can claim £4/week without needing any evidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X