• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant giving grief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant giving grief

Just notified an accountant I sadly engaged due to a friend's recommendation, that I am taking my business elsewhere and this accountant is just giving me so much grief .
    What can I do? What should I watch out for as this individual obviously had my accounting details from the previous accountant, didn't understand my business structure (2 ltd companies -one for btl) and the kept saying the previous accountant did a terrible job of my accounting which I disagree with btw. I had certain differences with the previous accountant hence the change- there's a previous post about this. I feel like this person with no professional acumen will just do anything to have their pound of flesh. I'm especially concerned due to the behavior post giving notice. This is seriously the last thing I need :-(

Leave it all to your new accountant(no 3). Though if you have gone through two already it could appear you have unrealistic standards.

I left a one man band after getting hassle and moved to QDOS. QDOS were excellent and I still use them.

Comment

You can man/woman/whatever gender you've decided on that particular day up.

It's not uncommon for a small business owner to get upset when he's losing business, particularly when he's been criticized and blamed for it. Try it with an agent and watch the fall out from that.

If you speak to any of the accountants on my accountant recommendation list I am sure they will all help deal with the accountant so you don't need to. They (should) help you by contacting the accountant and requesting all the details from him. When he doesn't comply the new company should be able to point out where to go for help.

That said this happened to me with a local one man band and he didn't play ball in the end so new company helped me re-build my accounts for that year. Couldn't be bothered taking him to any professional body, more hassle than it was worth.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Misquote of Oscar Wilde warning!!!!

"To lose one accountant may be regarded as misfortune.
        To lose two looks like carelessness."

Perhaps a frank discussion in a mirror would help. Then a lengthy discussion with accountant #3 about #1 and #2 so that #3 can provide more value.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          Leave it all to your new accountant(no 3). Though if you have gone through two already it could appear you have unrealistic standards.

I left a one man band after getting hassle and moved to QDOS. QDOS were excellent and I still use them.
          This is what I am doing but can't help being bothered by this accountant's behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You can man/woman/whatever gender you've decided on that particular day up.

It's not uncommon for a small business owner to get upset when he's losing business, particularly when he's been criticized and blamed for it. Try it with an agent and watch the fall out from that.

If you speak to any of the accountants on my accountant recommendation list I am sure they will all help deal with the accountant so you don't need to. They (should) help you by contacting the accountant and requesting all the details from him. When he doesn't comply the new company should be able to point out where to go for help.

That said this happened to me with a local one man band and he didn't play ball in the end so new company helped me re-build my accounts for that year. Couldn't be bothered taking him to any professional body, more hassle than it was worth.
            Haha - I have gone with Dynamo this time. I was only with the current ex accountant for a few months(less than 3) when I realized it wasn't all I was made to believe. All spreadsheet based and hadn't heard of free agent. Did not have an alternative software and thought they could joke around with my accounts. I would have stayed with my first accountant if they stopped changing my personal accountant. I was explaining my accounts about every six months because each accountant understood differently even though they had kept my books for years. Well I hope it won't get to the stage of professional body

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
              This is what I am doing but can't help being bothered by this accountant's behavior.
              Move on, let the new accountant sort it and ignore it, do you really need the grief/distraction? Life is too short to worry about that sort of "insert poo emoji here"

To save yourself next time make sure you do your due-diligence on the accountant. When I started out I spent a good amount of time looking and speaking to the accountants recommended from this site. Picked one and done

WLB

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Misquote of Oscar Wilde warning!!!!

"To lose one accountant may be regarded as misfortune.
                To lose two looks like carelessness."

Perhaps a frank discussion in a mirror would help. Then a lengthy discussion with accountant #3 about #1 and #2 so that #3 can provide more value.
                Haha thanks - I do look in the mirror and have numerous discussions already though - Anyone who's witnessed me do this, concludes that I'm mad. You're right though- will take another good look today and have a deep frank discussion and maybe this time, I will get something positive.

Well what I have realized is that what is good for one person is not necessarily good for another just because we're friends and work in a similar way - lesson learnt
                #3 are helping at the moment so will have a discussion so we don't end up right back at one again.

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
                  I would have stayed with my first accountant if they stopped changing my personal accountant. I was explaining my accounts about every six months because each accountant understood differently even though they had kept my books for years.
                  Hehe, this makes me smile (sorry!). Lots of accountancy firms bang on about the benefit of them providing you with a dedicated accountant, one point of contact. That's all fine and well except that as a minimum they'll have holiday/study/sickness, and at some point they'll move on. If the firm doesn't treat staff well, staff turnover will be high.

In terms of your current predicament, as others have implied, do a bit of research this time so hopefully you're not keen to move again in a few months. Unclear if this applies to you, but we do see some potential clients who have unrealistically high expectations of what sub £100/month will get them. Chatting with other contractors about what they get can help you know if what you want is unreasonable or not.

We don't touch the BTL company market so I'm not pitching, but good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X